Best currency to take to Turkey?

Options

Comments

• malid
    malid Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to Side in August and I plan on just taking about £100 sterling(remember the £10 each to get into Turkey - you have to pay this at the airport). For the holiday, I will be using my Nationwide Flexacoount card at the ATMs to take out Turkish Lira. I think this is best.

I took some euros two years ago but I didn't think I got a better deal. Given the current exchange rate, I'm not going to get some to take this time. Some take US Dolllars, but if you have to pay to get them in advance I don't see the point. The ATM exchange rate is good and you take out as much as you need.

My best advice, make sure you haggle for everythign you buy. NEVER EVER pay what they ask first time.

Enjoy :cool:
  • set
    set Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Off to Olu Deniz in September, Im really dont want to take cash with me so would go for travellers cheques, what do you think?? can I exchange them easily out there, I would be getting them in sterling.

• malid
    Options
    set wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Off to Olu Deniz in September, Im really dont want to take cash with me so would go for travellers cheques, what do you think?? can I exchange them easily out there, I would be getting them in sterling.

Please read previous posts here. I would never consider taking travellers cheques; you pay commission twice for starters. Plenty of time to open a Nationwide current account and use the debit card on holiday to get cash out at ATMs.
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Options
    we've just got back from Kusadasi. a lot of the shops were advertising - well the ones who actually had prices ;) in euro. 1 euro is 2 lira. so if planning to shop prob take euro, however bars and restaurants were advertising in lira... very confusing. we brought lira and was no hassle in using, shops ask if you are paying in euro or lira anyway. remember dolmus' use local currency and is also handy for tips etc
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • malid
    Options
    jillie1974 wrote: »
    we've just got back from Kusadasi. a lot of the shops were advertising - well the ones who actually had prices ;) in euro. 1 euro is 2 lira. so if planning to shop prob take euro, however bars and restaurants were advertising in lira... very confusing. we brought lira and was no hassle in using, shops ask if you are paying in euro or lira anyway. remember dolmus' use local currency and is also handy for tips etc

Not a good rate on euro exchange so I'd opt for the lira.
  • redrabbit29
    redrabbit29 Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much would a meal cost per person in Turkey (Side especially)? Say, a starter and main course with a couple of drinks. It would probably be around the £16 mark here, so how much there?

I think I'll put some cash in the nationwide account, and withdraw it over there. At the cash points does it say "What currency do you want?", and you just select Lira or something?
    Amo L'Italia
  • malid
    Options
    Not sure how musch a meal would be now; we we there in 2006 - 2 adults and 2 'starving' teenagers. From memory, I don't think we were paying £16 each then. Some places give you a free appetizer - normally Turkish bread and some dips - so you mway not always want a starter. When you go into a cafe/restaurant, ensure that you know what the 'freebie' is - staff will be outside every eating place enticing you to come in with promises of free this and that. Sometimes when the bill arrives, the 'carrot' of a free drink/starter disappears and you end up paying; just check. Doesn't often happen though.

Take the money out in lira. As this is the currency of the country, the rate will be a lot better :cool:
  • Dazza7_2
    Options
    Ok, So if i switched to the nationwide account, it wouldnt charge me nothing whatsoever to withdraw money or to use it to pay things by?! Also, say i paid by card for a meal, would it be debited in sterling or lira?
  • pennylane99
    pennylane99 Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we dont bother changing currency as most of the shops/bars etc take sterling
  • malid
    Options
    Dazza7 wrote: »
    Ok, So if i switched to the nationwide account, it wouldnt charge me nothing whatsoever to withdraw money or to use it to pay things by?! Also, say i paid by card for a meal, would it be debited in sterling or lira?

If you have the Nationwide Flexaccount (current account) with Debit/Visa card, use it to withdraw cash in ATMs. There is no charge. I have nevwr used it as a debit card when abroad for payment at shops etc.

If you want to pay by card, I would recommend you get a Nationwide credit card. This card does not charge a transaction fee like most othet cc cards when used abroad. I would opt for payment in lira otherwise you may not get the bank's exchange rate - i.e. the vendor will work out a rate which may not be as good.

I realise that some posters are recommending that people go for sterling or euros; I am recommending what I see as the best option. If you go for sterling/euros, it means that you have to carry a significant amount in cash for the holiday. I prefer to withdraw money as and when I need it; it's safer. Also, I don't think you get a better deal with sterling/euros - especially euors given the current exchange rate and you would have to purchase them in advance - paying a charge.:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure