Top Tube Ticket Tips!

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Your ticket needs to cover all Zones you travel through. So yes, you need to pay for Z12345.
    Just to warn people, a few years ago I bought a ticket that was supposed to cover all zones, but it said something like 12-5 because there wasn't room to print 12345. When I tried to use it on a bus in zone 3 or 4 the driver told me it wasn't valid. I think I probably just got an ignorant driver, because I checked later and it should have been valid. And this was a few years ago, possibly not long after the zones were introduced. But just because it doesn't say 12345 doesn't mean it isn't valid for all zones!

Saffie, a great post for those of us who don't come to London very often. Just to clarify, do you have to be a London resident to have an Oyster or can anyone buy one?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue wrote:

Saffie, a great post for those of us who don't come to London very often. Just to clarify, do you have to be a London resident to have an Oyster or can anyone buy one?

Oooooooo, they're keen to keep tabs on ANYONE who visits London even for a moment!!! :snow_laug
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Savvy_Sue wrote:
    Just to warn people, a few years ago I bought a ticket that was supposed to cover all zones, but it said something like 12-5 because there wasn't room to print 12345. When I tried to use it on a bus in zone 3 or 4 the driver told me it wasn't valid. I think I probably just got an ignorant driver, because I checked later and it should have been valid. And this was a few years ago, possibly not long after the zones were introduced. But just because it doesn't say 12345 doesn't mean it isn't valid for all zones!

There are no London Bus Zones anymore anyway. Any Zone Travelcard is valid on all London Bus Services.

But yes, the problem you had is that when the British Rail ticket machines were designed in the 1980s, there were only 4 London Travelcard Zones, so the machines could only print Z1234 maximum. When the 5th and 6th Zones were introduced, the machines could not fit any more digits so had to print Z1256.
    Savvy_Sue wrote:

Anyone can have an Oyster card. You just need to pay a one off £3 refundable deposit for a card which you can use for 'Pay as you go'.
  • Oooooooo, they're keen to keep tabs on ANYONE who visits London even for a moment!!! :snow_laug

Well, you don't need to register the card if you don't want to, so the journey information is not mapped to any personal details. However if you lose the card you will not be able to receive a refund of any credit on the card.

This doesn't apply if you are buying a monthly or longer ticket as these do need to be registered.
  • There are no London Bus Zones anymore anyway. Any Zone Travelcard is valid on all London Bus Services.

Not quite right - you'll quickly get a fine if caught using a Z2-6 Travelcard in Z1... ;)
    Well, you don't need to register the card if you don't want to, so the journey information is not mapped to any personal details. However if you lose the card you will not be able to receive a refund of any credit on the card.

Perfectly true - I'd forgotten this - thanks for reminding me! :rudolf:
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • bbruce
    bbruce Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's always a good idea buying season tickets just before the prices go up, but what about charging up your Oyster Card? Do you get the old rates until you need to recharge it again? After all they banked your money when the old rates were in force!

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • Not quite right - you'll quickly get a fine if caught using a Z2-6 Travelcard in Z1... ;)

Actually there are no London bus zones any more and this has been the case since January 2004 with the introduction of flat bus fares. You can certainly use a Z2-6 Travelcard in the former Zone 1 bus area.

Taken from the current Transport for London Fares and Tickets leaflet:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/2005/downloads/tfl-fares-2005.pdf#page=15

[Travelcards are valid on] The entire London bus network including sections outside Greater London, on buses that display this sign. This applies to all Travelcards irrespective of the zone(s) they cover..

Unfortunatly many people don't seem to be aware of this and are probably paying more than they should. I use my Z2 Travelcard on buses all over London without any problems.
    Perfectly true - I'd forgotten this - thanks for reminding me! :rudolf

No problem, thanks.
  • bbruce wrote:
    It's always a good idea buying season tickets just before the prices go up, but what about charging up your Oyster Card? Do you get the old rates until you need to recharge it again? After all they banked your money when the old rates were in force!

Yup, that's a good Money Saving tip, buy your season ticket to start on or before 1st January 2006 as the price increases on 2nd Jan. This is particularly important for those people buying single zone Travelcards e.g. Z2 only, as from 2nd Jan they won't exist anymore so you need to buy Z23! This is a massive increase for those who only normally pay for one zone.

With regards to Oyster 'Pay As You Go', you will be deducted the new rates from your credit from 2nd January 2006. However this is actually good news as most Oyster single fares are going DOWN or staying the same!
  • Ummm sorry to correct you, Saffie, but if you travel from Zone 1 to 5 or beyond, an Oyster Travelcard is 30p cheaper than a paper Travelcard. ;)

As I have nothing to hide, I really like my Oystercard. I travel into London from Zone 5 for meetings once or twice a week, and it saves me queuing to buy tickets, and saves me money! :xmassign:

You learn something new every day!!!

Thanx!!!
  • empfun wrote:
    Nice effort Saffie. I've always wondered about tube ticket to purchase when it comes to zoning. Say if I were to travel from a Zone 5 station on the East of London to a Zone 5 station to the West of London, do I only buy a Zone 5 only ticket or do I have to get 5-4-3-2-1? Thanks!

Your ticket MUST cover ALL the zones you travel through, not just the ones you enter and exit in. So be carefull when you choose your ticket!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback