Top Tube Ticket Tips!

Comments

• manhattan
    manhattan Posts: 1,461 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    thanks for the info!

can i purchase a family travel card from kingscross as that is our first stop?
  • silvercar wrote:
    If I want to travel with my son (age 15) how do our 2 oyster cards know we are travelling together and should be charged the family off-peak travel card rates rather than separately? From zone 6 it is cheaper to buy 1 adult+ 1 child off-peak all zones travel card than 1 adult travel card.

The adverts tell us oyster will always know the cheapest fare, but it can't be that clever, can it?

Quite simply, it doesn't know that. Perhaps that is one reason for TfL's desision to scrap Family Travelcards from 2nd Jan 2006.

I'd stick with the paper Family Travelcards until then. In the meantime your son can apply for a Child Oyster Photocard in order to continue travelling free on buses and trams from 2nd Jan, and pay child fares on Tube/DLR using "Child Oyster Pay As You Go".

As I mentioned in my post above, instead of the Family Travelcard from 2nd Jan you can buy £1 child Travelcards if you have an adult Travelcard yourself, but 14-15 year olds still need a Child Oyster Photocard to prove their age when buying/using any child tickets.
  • manhattan wrote:
    thanks for the info!

can i purchase a family travel card from kingscross as that is our first stop?

Sure, King's Cross Underground ticket office should be able to sell you the Family Travelcard for the day, and also you should be able to buy then in advance for the next few days.

Note that due to the redevelopment works at King's Cross, the ticket office is situated outside the main entrance to the station and not down the stairs to the Underground itself. Just head for the outside when getting off at King's Cross.
  • In addition to the other tips ...

In some rail stations ("Southern" ones? Works at Sutton and Carshalton), if you buy a monthly travel card every month from the same station, they give you 5% off after the first month - I save about £7 or £8 a month this way.
  • Saffie wrote:
    But remember that an oyster card will "cap" at the price of a daily travelcard if you travel around all day, again the price of this daily travelcard is the price, so there's no saving.
    :)

Ummm sorry to correct you, Saffie, but if you travel from Zone 1 to 5 or beyond, an Oyster Travelcard is 30p cheaper than a paper Travelcard. ;)

As I have nothing to hide, I really like my Oystercard. I travel into London from Zone 5 for meetings once or twice a week, and it saves me queuing to buy tickets, and saves me money! :xmassign:
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • A simple question here for someone who really doesnt travel often:

if i wanted to go upto central london via the north line lets say zone 5 to goodge street for instance would it be cheaper to get an oyster card then buying a day pass, surely the oyster card would be more expensive as everytime u ride a bus or different train it charges you does it not?

so having a one day pass which gives you access to as many buses and trains as you like till mid-nite is cheaper?
  • empfun
    empfun Posts: 608 Forumite
    Nice effort Saffie. I've always wondered about tube ticket to purchase when it comes to zoning. Say if I were to travel from a Zone 5 station on the East of London to a Zone 5 station to the West of London, do I only buy a Zone 5 only ticket or do I have to get 5-4-3-2-1? Thanks!
    I know nothing
  • davcohen wrote:
    A simple question here for someone who really doesnt travel often:

if i wanted to go upto central london via the north line lets say zone 5 to goodge street for instance would it be cheaper to get an oyster card then buying a day pass, surely the oyster card would be more expensive as everytime u ride a bus or different train it charges you does it not?

so having a one day pass which gives you access to as many buses and trains as you like till mid-nite is cheaper?

There is a feature called Oyster Card Capping. This means you will never be charged more than the equilavent day travelcard or bus pass rate. For example, if you make multiple journies on one day, once your fare deductions for each journey reaches the price of a Day Travelcard, you will not have any further deductions made.

As I understand, from 2nd January 2006, Oyster Capping will be at least 50p cheaper than the cash Day Travelcard rate.

This does not apply if you intend to travel on National Rail, where Oyster Pay As You Go is not valid and you would need a paper ticket.
  • empfun wrote:
    Nice effort Saffie. I've always wondered about tube ticket to purchase when it comes to zoning. Say if I were to travel from a Zone 5 station on the East of London to a Zone 5 station to the West of London, do I only buy a Zone 5 only ticket or do I have to get 5-4-3-2-1? Thanks!

Your ticket needs to cover all Zones you travel through. So yes, you need to pay for Z12345.
  • Your ticket needs to cover all Zones you travel through. So yes, you need to pay for Z12345.

True that you need to pay for all the Zones you travel through. However, from East to West, if you want to be a really conscientious MSE, you may be able to use the North London Line (actually an overground train line) which avoids Zone 1. This line is shown on the tube map at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf

Some stations have a bit of a walk between the tube station and the NLL, but for example Stratford and Gunnersbury share a station.

The LT journey planner can be quite helpful - http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en although it can also be a bit vague in telling you where bus stops are relative to the station!!!!

:xmassign: :rudolf: :xmassign: :rudolf: :xmassign: :rudolf: :xmassign: :rudolf: :xmassign: :rudolf: :xmassign: :rudolf: :xmassign: :rudolf: :xmassign: :rudolf: :xmassign: :rudolf: :xmassign:
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback