Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

how much does it cost to run a sunbed

New Post Advanced Search
We are aware of problems with Forum search at present and are looking to resolve them as soon as possible [Last update 22/10 - 18:46 GMT]
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

how much does it cost to run a sunbed

10 replies 32.6K views
jane34jane34 Forumite
31 posts
can someone tell me how much it costs to run a sunbed for 30mins
it has 10 x 100 watt bulbs

thankyou

Replies

• McAzraelMcAzrael Forumite
    917 posts
    10 x 100 watt bulbs mean that it is drawing 1000 watts (1000 joules a second). Electricity is sold in kilowatt hours (kWh), that being equivalent to using 1000 watts for 1 hour. In half an hour at 1000 watts you will use 1/2 kWh, so take a look at your last electricity bill and see how much a kWh costs, and half it.
  • jane34jane34 Forumite
    31 posts
    just looked at my electric bill and its 11p kwh , so its under 6p for 30mins, seems cheap for all does bulbs ? thought it was going to be £5-£6 to run with 10x100 watt bulbs

thankyou for the reply :-)
  • i'm still confused ...... so that means that if my electricity is say 12 a unit and i have 20 x 100 watt bulbs and i use it for 20 mins it'll cost me under a £1 or around that mark ! That still doesn't seem right ? ......... someone convince me, please !!!!!! :-( !!!
  • ormusormus Forumite
    42.7K posts
    yes it will cost about 11p per hour to run.
    based on my tariff.
    Get some gorm.
  • vaiovaio Forumite
    12.3K posts
    i'm still confused ...... so that means that if my electricity is say 12 a unit and i have 20 x 100 watt bulbs and i use it for 20 mins it'll cost me under a £1 or around that mark ! That still doesn't seem right ? ......... someone convince me, please !!!!!! :-( !!!

20 x 100 watts = 2000W = 2 kW.

At 12p per Kw/hr it costs 12p to run 1 kW for an hour

So 24p for an hour at 2 kW

So 8p for 2 kW for 20 mins
    Dangermac wrote: »
    I agree with you......

DM
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • diablediable Forumite
    5.3K posts
    or how much will it cost to cause skin cancer?
  • 27col27col Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    To get skin cancer, the cost will work out at about the same as running the sun bed.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • BikertovBikertov Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    27col wrote: »
    To get skin cancer, the cost will work out at about the same as running the sun bed.

Not quite. You will have to add the £100's it costs to buy the machine that gives you skin cancer.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    46.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jane34 wrote: »
    just looked at my electric bill and its 11p kwh , so its under 6p for 30mins, seems cheap for all does bulbs ? thought it was going to be £5-£6 to run with 10x100 watt bulbs

thankyou for the reply :-)

At those prices, a one bar electric fire (1,000W) for an hour would cost £5-£6! Would you really expect to pay that much for your electricity?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • BikertovBikertov Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    macman wrote: »
    At those prices, a one bar electric fire (1,000W) for an hour would cost £5-£6! Would you really expect to pay that much for your electricity?

Just give it time - if the 'Green Brigade' have their way :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support