Have you ever been upgraded on a flight? Poll results/discussion

Options

Comments

• taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    I always ask to be upgraded, I was a frequent flyer with BA and KLM and flew a couple of times a month, mostly into europe.

A couple of tricks I use, always dress smartly, shirt, tie and trousers at the minimum, just look business like, have nice luggage bags (I know lol) and always be polite to the people checking you in (goes without saying), and I always used to check in as late as possible, because then if you ask they will know they will have seats available.

My success rate was about 50% - 60%, not bad and you only have to ask, never been upgraded by the airline without asking, I also use the late check in if I have excess luggage as they hardly ever charge you for it if you don't take the michael, outa all my flights I think i've been charged a handful of times.

Hope its helpful to someone!
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • Hello
    Hello Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Flying back from Brussels without asking. We were late because the train switched platforms on us and only just got to check in on time. I guess they had overbooked economy and had to upgrade us and we probably wouldn't have been their first choice - we were the only ones in leisure wear and looking flushed from running, everyone else was in suits!
    Ciggie free 2am 21/09/06. Debt free 25/06/09.
    'It was such a lovely day I thought 'it's a pity to get up'' W. Somerset Maugham.
  • tommygirl_2
    tommygirl_2 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    I fly about 3 times a year to Dalaman airport. When I do get asked if I want an up-grade, it's never for free!!! Any more tips?! :D
  • Tufty199
    Tufty199 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the past I spent a bit of time living overseas and so did quite a few flights here and there. Unfortunately I developed a fear of flying and was actually prescribed tranquilisers by my doctor.
    Well once I realised that if I popped quite a few a 12 hour flight felt like a quick 20 minute spin, I used to over indulge.
    On such an occasion, I was in economy and I spotted an acquaintance in Premium economy so I thought why don't I pop along the cabin to say hello. The next thing it was "cabin crew prepare for take off" so I stayed put and then I thought well actually this is quite nice and I only ever went back to economy to collect my hand luggae just before we landed. I was well chuffed but I think my friend may have been a bit disgruntled but never said!

I have only had one real upgrade and that was on Air Zimbabwe from Harare to Victoria Falls. The flight was overbooked and we had to spend a sweaty hour thinking we were going to get bumped off before being told we could go business class. Mind you the only difference between the two classes appeared to be a chicken leg in the in flight picnic box !!! Still we didn't crash so can't complain...........
  • prefdavid
    prefdavid Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just once. Flying from Manchester to San Francisco via Paris.

Got to the check-in at CdG after all the queues had died down and handed over my boarding pass. Quick gabble at me in French to which I replied in best Lancastrian "pardon" and he says "excuse me for a moment" and disappears.

A few minutes later comes back and says " We have a problem with this flight, would you mind if we upgrade you to First Class?"

Just before leaping in the air and screaming :j I managed to ask if this would apply for the return journey as well. A big smile but "No Sir, I'm afraid not". Ah well

It was a great flight :D
  • MUNCHKIN123
    MUNCHKIN123 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    My husband was downgraded on a business trip recently!! Booked business class but apparently they had overbooked. He was put into economy which meant he didn't get a meal. He had worked a 10 hour shift (fixing a machine abroad) then driven 2 hours to the airport. He was starving an was relying on his meal to keep him going on the flight home. He asked if he could still have the meal in economy but was told no they didn't serve meals to economy. :mad:

He put his laptop case in the overhead compartment in business class and was told off - he explained he had paid for business class and was told tough. He explained there wasn't any space in the economy bit (he was at the back of the plane and all overhead compartments were full). He was told tough... he wasn't business class because they had moved him!
    :eek:
    To add insult to injury they refused to refund the difference on the ticket. He tried to fight it when he returned home but was told the T&Cs allowed them to downgrade!! Can't recall the airline but I know he doesn't use them now!! He travels regularly but no longer with this airline.
  • nephilim
    nephilim Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My husband was downgraded on a business trip recently!! Booked business class but apparently they had overbooked. He was put into economy which meant he didn't get a meal. He had worked a 10 hour shift (fixing a machine abroad) then driven 2 hours to the airport. He was starving an was relying on his meal to keep him going on the flight home. He asked if he could still have the meal in economy but was told no they didn't serve meals to economy. :mad:

He put his laptop case in the overhead compartment in business class and was told off - he explained he had paid for business class and was told tough. He explained there wasn't any space in the economy bit (he was at the back of the plane and all overhead compartments were full). He was told tough... he wasn't business class because they had moved him!
    :eek:
    To add insult to injury they refused to refund the difference on the ticket. He tried to fight it when he returned home but was told the T&Cs allowed them to downgrade!! Can't recall the airline but I know he doesn't use them now!! He travels regularly but no longer with this airline.

Sounds alot like Air France to me!!! Had that same problem with my brother!
    • Total Debt :£190,000 - Mortgage
    • Owed: £9000 Virgin Atlantic American Express
    • Owed: £9000 Tesco Clubcard Mastercard
    • Owed: £5500 Barclaycard Platinum
    • Owed: £1800 - Car Payments
    • Debt Free Date : May 2050
  • isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    Options
    I heard somewhere that 'dressing for the part' is more likely to get you an upgrade if there is one available...

Tried that on a trip to NYC with BA. No chance, we were both dressed smart, both politely enquired if the flight was full and if any upgrades were available. Stern looks from tedious check-in people left the answer in no doubt!

Then had to fly 7-8 hours dressed smartly in cattle class! Never again!

Best to get to know someone who works for the airline IMO. I have friends who work for airlines and they say the smart dressed trick has no go with the staff at all. How many "A" listers dress like tramps, baggy jeans, trainers etc. Does make me laugh. Many of my colleagues who fly business class regularly dress in jeans and comfy gear for long flights, who on Earth wants to dress "up" for sitting on a flight?!

Have had plenty of friends who' been upgraded, it just luck of the draw, and obviously crucial if a flight isn't full.
  • onamission_2
    onamission_2 Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    I fly several times a year for work with AA or lufthansa. The company have a corporate deal so business tickets get first class upgrade so long as there are seats available. I have lots of frequent flyer miles and get upgraded on flights outside the commuter hours (ie. not the early morning and red eye flights). I wouldn't bother dressing up either. most business/first dress comfortably down and then use the lounges to get ready when at destination.

the AA first class lounge in NY is brilliant..
    total debt at lightbulb 18th April 2007:idea: £42367.60:eek: DFW Nerd No 725. DFW longhauler no 8.:rolleyes: Official DMP mutal support club member no 62.
  • wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the only upgrade i've had was when they (air france) were looking for volunteers to sit by the emergency exit (which happened to be in business class) and asked my OH if he would do it.
    (ah, we were young and fit then)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport