PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Adventures in Homebrewland (image heavy - you have been warned!)

Comments

• MrDT
    MrDT Posts: 951 Forumite
    So...my mate sorted me out with a couple of nice, clean demi-johns.

DSCN0704.jpg

Not. :p

You got off lightly, mine were caked in bloody concrete!!

Didn't take any 'before pictures' though :o

I'm gonna leave my vat alone for a few days as I'm away with work til late Friday night and am taking part in a charity bike ride thing on Saturday. With a bit of luck I can sqeeze in a trip to the health shop to get the extra bits I'm after... And maybe buy some orange juice whilst I'm at it :D

Good luck to everyone who's having a go, please post back with proigress (and reviews when you get tasting :beer:)
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    2cats1kid wrote: »
    I have bubbles! (And it's not from baked beans.) So looks like putting it in the airing cupboard did the trick. The air lock thingy is plopping away happily now.

The story about the strawberry wine reminds me of when my mum used a glut of tomatoes to make tomato chutney when I was a nipper. She can't have sterilised the bottles well enough, as one day there was an almighty BANG and one of them exploded. It was inside a kitchen cabinet at the time, and that was bad enough to clean up, so I can't imagine what an uncontained explosion would have been like.

Going to do some research tonight about what might go in the plastic water bottle. Want to try one from fruit juice next, rather than another kit.

Make sure the fruit juices don't contain any preservatives as it will hinder the yeast starting. You should be okay with ascorbic acid as that is only vitamin C.

I am going to do some experiments when I come back off holiday. Don't want to leave anything brewing.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    MrDT wrote: »
    You got off lightly, mine were caked in bloody concrete!!

Didn't take any 'before pictures' though :o

Got any tips for cleaning them? These have been in my mate's garage, and it looks like there's been slugs inside 'n' allsorts. _pale_ I've left them soaking in hot soapy water, but it's not touching the cack inside....... :(
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • MrDT
    Got any tips for cleaning them? These have been in my mate's garage, and it looks like there's been slugs inside 'n' allsorts. _pale_ I've left them soaking in hot soapy water, but it's not touching the cack inside....... :(

I warmed mine up in the shower, then filled with boiling water from the kettle and bleach. Scraped the concrete off with an old butter knife used for mixing paint, and used a metal scourer to get the last bits off.

You could use some sterilising tablets to clean the insides after most of the gunk is off? :confused:
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    have a look on freecycle for demi johns, or car boots are usually good for finding them :D

However, don't pay too much at boot fairs - they are pretty cheap new in Boots.

You can stop fermentation by adding Campden tablets (which are available very cheaply from homebrew shops or Boots the Chemists).

May I suggest that a wine fermentation trap would be better than the balloon? They are pretty cheap - and last ages, although I have had wine go over the top on these - but not quite so dramatically splashed as with a bursting balloon I suspect!
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite

Fill them about half full with fairly warm water - and then add a couple of Steradent (or a cheaper option) and allow to fizz up - then shake thoroughly. You may still need to get a big bottle brush - or else a bit of rag tied VERY tightly to a bit of bent clothes hanger. Steradent is great for cleaning them - and since it also does a wonderful job of taking the burnt on grease off the bars from a cooker - it is always in my cupboard: although I do still have all my own teeth! :D see?!
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Sagaris wrote: »
    A book I can recommend is this one : http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Steps-Winemaking-C-J-J-Berry/dp/1854861395/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212604082&sr=8-1
    I used to have a copy but have mislaid it - it's the only book you will ever need to buy, all sorts of info and recipes for making wine from scratch. Can always put it on my birthday list I suppose!

This is an excellent book for beginners... and a worth while investment if you are starting your own wines. :D
  • nopot2pin
    2cats1kid wrote: »
    Going to do some research tonight about what might go in the plastic water bottle. Want to try one from fruit juice next, rather than another kit.

If you have trouble getting your airlock to bloop when you use the plastic DJ, try putting some vaseline or petroleum jelly around the bung/grommit or even the thread of the cap. ;)
  • nopot2pin
    Bongedone wrote: »
    Make sure the fruit juices don't contain any preservatives as it will hinder the yeast starting. You should be okay with ascorbic acid as that is only vitamin C.

I am going to do some experiments when I come back off holiday. Don't want to leave anything brewing.

Any juices with sorbates or sulphites should be avoided... as you may not be able to get a ferment with these in the juice.
  • MrDT
    Hello everyone, I'm back :D

Updated the second post here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=11373091&postcount=2

I've got an airlock and bung, have added my final litre of juice, and am pleased to say it's all going swimmingly.

I'm liking the airlock sound effects too lol :D

Been eyeing up some smoothies on the countertop. I might have a go at something a little different next!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback