How to replace UPVC window handles/locks

Options
1235»

Comments

• andio_2
    Options
    I have the same problem with not being able to lock a tilt 'n' upvc window. The handle isn't the cause so I wondered if he or others have found a solution.
  • DJBailey82
    Options
    I had an issue with my UPVC window handle, the handle would turn as usual but won't open.

The issue was the brass pin within the window. I removed the cap that hides the 1st screw, turned the handle from 3 to 12 O'clock to show the 2nd screw then removed both screws and handle. Then this showed three holes (the outer ones for the screws), the centre contained the brass rod from the handle to the mechanism. I removed it with long nose pliers, and securely pushed it back into the handle (so it wouldn't fall out) then put everything back together. A 5 min job................. Hope this helps someone.
  • Paige_Turner
    Paige_Turner Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    We also have an issue with our bathroom window. It is a tilt and turn and I assume it's upvc (how could I tell?)

Upon closing, the handle should be at 6o'clock but the mechanism has gradually slipped and would now lock in place at about 8o'clock. Unfortunately there is a wall in the way meaning we can no longer close the window. Would replacing the handle make a difference or do we need a locksmith or window fitter?

Apologies for the simplistic terms, I'm not sure of the technical ones!!
  • AntoniusUK
    Options
    My wife and I today found our window would not lock, and googled the problem, which led us to your post reply. We fixed it in minutes. Thank you so much, DJBailey82!
  • AMajury
    Options
    My Tilt & Turn window seems to be slightly different from the rest but has stopped working all the same.

My issue is:

I have a tilt and turn window. A WInkHaus unit.

Normally when the handle is at 6 o’clock the window is shut and can be locked.
    At 9 o’clock the window tilts in
    At 12 o’clock the window opens like a door in.

The window operates fine at 9 o’clock and at 12 o’clock.
    However with the window fully closed, I can’t move the handle from 9 o’clock to back to 6 o’clock. The handle basically won’t move beyond 9 o’clock, even with some force.

I can see the mechanism that allows the handle to move from 9 o’clock to 12 o’clock, I can’t see on this window (or other windows that still work) what mechanism should unlock the handle to allow it to move from 9 o’clock to 6 o’clock.

Any ideas on how I can get the handle to start moving from 9 o’clock to 6 o’clock again?
  • Rosannaposanna
    Options
    Hi James,

Just wondered if you got this sorted? I know it was a long time ago but we're having the same problem. Would rather replace lock barrels that drill child lock things on if possible.

Any information greatly received!
  • Hugh_Riddle
    Options
    I have just fixed this problem on a simple tilt-up kitchen window with single bottom locking tongue. Removed two handle screws (behind plastic snap-ins), pulled out handle assembly, squirted WD40 into square shaft hole. Freed up within 10 mins. Squirted oil into hole, re-attached handle assembly. Now seems perfect. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure