How to replace UPVC window handles/locks

Options

Comments

• genierose
    Options
    I've got exactly the same problem & with more than 1 window! I've actually got 4 windows now that are jammed shut and it's happened gradually over the last couple of weeks. One day they were working and the next not. With mine I can move the handle to open them all, but they are all catching on one side so won't open. I have no idea where to start trying to fix this, not even sure what sort of handyman/ tradesman I should call! Any help/ advice would be most appreciated.
  • martyn05
    martyn05 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    Call a locksmith or UPVC window fitter, either should be able to help.
    "Nil Sine Labore" - Nothing Without Labour
  • tco03
    tco03 Posts: 73 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2011 at 8:12AM
    Options
    pvc window handles are fairly cheap, its when the locking strip breaks that its more expensive.
    I had a locksmith / glazing company come out last year when mine had jammed.
    The locksmith drilled out the cast square piece behind the handle and then used a bent wire to drag the rollers across.
    They only make these parts out of cheap cast metal so break easy when forced. (Not that i forced it...LOL) Live and learn
  • brendanorr
    Options
    hi my bathroom window lock came off in my hand but left the brass bar stuck in the frame .is there a trick to getting it out because i jst cant get it to budge.
  • azules
    azules Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    I have a problem like this
    But I know there is another screw preventing me from taking the handel off
    because the handel wont turn enough for me to get to it
    any advice,,befoe I ring the very expensive locksmith/pvc window thingy guy
  • mummy72
    mummy72 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Wondering can anyone help, my handle on my bathroom window is not the type used with a key but has a button that you push to turn it from 3 o'clock position to 12 for the window to open but at the minute the handle is moving up and down no problem but when the window is closed and the handle down to lock position you can push the window open it's not locking, is this something I could fix or will I have to get someone out to fix it?
    Thanks
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    a new handle/bar may fix it or it may require a new gearbox. thats the bit that operates the shoot bolts.
    Get some gorm.
  • *miaomiao*
    *miaomiao* Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    Hello!

We are enjoying ourselves trying to understand what is broken with our PVC bathroom window. It has a section at the top that opens outwards and although the handle works, the bolts are not sliding when the handle is engaged so it's not locking. Can anyone suggest anything we can do to fix it ourselves?

Many thanks!
    :A Thanks to all the lovely people who contribute their advice! :A
  • steve286
    Options
    Hi guys and girls.. are there any tricks for opening a small bathroom window that has a jammed gearbox, I've removed the broken handle and got a replacement, but with the handle off, I can't turn the lock with a screwdriver, so although I know the problem is probably the gearbox/rods.. I cant open the window to change it:mad:
    Any help would be gratefully recieved
  • James117
    Options
    Hi folks quick question if someone can please help!

The upvc windows i have are the tilt and swivel kind the handles dont have locks.

Can the handles be replaced with lockable ones?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure