Silverjet airline

Hi

Can anyone give any advise.

Purchased 4 tickets on Silverjet in Feb 08 to fly to New York in July 08.Yesterday the company ceased trading .We paid by Abbey visa debit card.Does anybody know if I can claim back through Abbey National.Do they have a charge back policy.

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Check out Silverjet's website, I've lifted the following from their FAQ:

Q: I have a reservation that I've already paid for on a future Silverjet flight. How can I get a refund?

A: If you have paid by credit card, we suggest you contact your credit card company from whom you should be able to obtain a refund. If you have paid by debit card or charge card please contact ATOL, Section CAA, 49 - 59 Kingsway, London, WC2B 6TE. Alternatively, if you booked your flights through a travel agent or shipping company, please contact them for assistance.

Q: How do I now change my travel arrangements? Will other airlines honour my Silverjet tickets?

A: Other airlines are not under any obligation to honour your unused Silverjet tickets, however, as a courtesy, some airlines may agree 'to get you home' using their flights on a basis specified by them.

Q: Why can't Silverjet give me a refund?

A: As a result of ceasing all operations, all Silverjet's assets are currently 'frozen'.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Bevtahor
    Bevtahor Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hi
    thanks for the info but I paid by a visa debit card not a credit card.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    First question & answer, second sentence:

A: If you have paid by credit card, we suggest you contact your credit card company from whom you should be able to obtain a refund. If you have paid by debit card or charge card please contact ATOL, Section CAA, 49 - 59 Kingsway, London, WC2B 6TE. Alternatively, if you booked your flights through a travel agent or shipping company, please contact them for assistance.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Bevtahor
    Thanks for the info.
    I have already spoken to Atol and to be able to claim through them ,I needed to have paid for valet car parking ,which unfortunately I didn't.So my only way of trying to get my money back is to claim through my abbey visa debit card.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Visa offer a chargeback facility on their debit cards so you should be able to claim through your Abbey card.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/7347146.stm
    Gone ... or have I?
  • lawrenson
    lawrenson Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

I am in the same boat - but I paid thru a Mastercard credit card, and am HOPING for a refund.

I suspect that you may be out of pocket however, sorry.

I found this Q&A in The Times:

What about flights bought on a debit card from the airline?
    As it is not a legal requirement for airlines to offer financial protection to customers in the event of bankruptcy, anyone who paid for tickets by debit card will not get a refund.

I think this also applies to Diners, Charge cards, and some Amex.

Sorry,
    Karen
  • Bevtahor
    Do you know how I go about trying to get it.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Bevtahor wrote: »
    Do you know how I go about trying to get it.

Contact Abbey (see above).
    Gone ... or have I?
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    one piece of advice i will say.. is check out the threads on the other airlines (maxjet, and oasis) that have recently ceased trading, these will be a wealth of information as people have recently done the same, and also, it will speed up the processes for people, when they know exactly who to contact, which card companies do what etc etc

Oasis thread - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=847637

MaxJet Thread -http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=649145
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And ir can never be emphasised enough - NEVER BUY EXPENSIVE ITEMS WITH A DEBIT CARD - use a Credit Card whereever possible
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure