Vistas modem and file moving help please!

in Techie Stuff
6 replies 619 views
Hi all,

Ive just bought a new Dell desktop pc running Vistas, and am having trouble on two fronts - please forgive me if these are often asked questions, but i really could do with some help here.

My existing pc (still in use) has a wired internet connection using a BT Voyager 100 modem. No problems there, but when i tried to plug it in to my new Vistas pc it said i needed drivers to install it. An email to BT led to them sending a CD of replacement driver files, but when i try to install this on my new pc it wont go past the first screen with BT images and 'continue' option on it. Looking again on the BT site it says BT broadband and Vistas isnt compatible now with the Voyager 100 modem.

Is this the case? Or have i just received a duff CD to install? Can anyone recommend a USB modem to use instead, if necessary? Or can i install a wireless router easily enough on a new computer, without first installing a cabled-connection?

Thanks for any advice!

Second problem is in trying to migrate across either individual files/folders, or indeed all my settings, from my old Windows XP machine (with a non-working CD drive) to my new Vistas machine..

I have a Vista USB Link adaptor cable (but cant install the Windows XP CD supplied with it, onto the old computer).

I have a Western Digital 500 GB My Book external hard drive, but when i try to copy folders across onto it it says there isnt sufficient memory to do so (no matter how few files i select to move).

Can anyone give me some advice then on how to get my new internet connection up and running, and secondly how i can move my files across (im mainly worried about extracting photos and itunes files off the old pc, as im happy to install other programmes afresh onto the new Vistas pc).

many thanks

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Ambassador
    49.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ambassador
    BT Voyager 100 does not have Vista drivers by the look of it , I'm sure if you are happy with Bt and don't want to change suppliers then a quick phone call to Bt claiming you want to cancel your broadband will result in a free wireless home hub ;)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • espressoespresso Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Then you would be able to transfer your files from one machine to the other via the Home Hub (router).
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Although the BT service has been excellent its quite pricey and id actually like to move to a cheaper broadband supplier (perhaps Sky) rather than commit to a new contract with BT.

Are there any other ways around this?

Could I just pick up a wireless router (my local Tescos has LinkSys ones - are these recommended and easy to install?) and thus connect my new Vistas pc to the internet that way? Presumably if i later changed internet providers they would then tend to also issue me with a wireless router?

My photos and documents i could put on a memory stick, i guess, to transfer them, but im unsure how i can move my itunes collection over.
    16.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks for the suggestions. Although the BT service has been excellent its quite pricey and id actually like to move to a cheaper broadband supplier (perhaps Sky) rather than commit to a new contract with BT.

Are there any other ways around this?

Not really, BT will always be more expensive than the competion and you would get a free wireless router provided if you switch to Sky.

Could I just pick up a wireless router (my local Tescos has LinkSys ones - are these recommended and easy to install?) and thus connect my new Vistas pc to the internet that way? Presumably if i later changed internet providers they would then tend to also issue me with a wireless router?

You could buy your own but if you are thinking of switching, you would get one for free!

My photos and documents i could put on a memory stick, i guess, to transfer them, but im unsure how i can move my itunes collection over.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Thanks for all the help so far - ive just picked up a Link Sys Wireless-G Home Gateway .. hopefully i can install this ok (bit of a technophobe) and get my new Vistas pc online.

I may try phoning BT for a MAC code and drop hints about leaving .. i dont know whether its possible to haggle a reduction from the £18.99 im paying. If i could get it down to nearer £10 a month id be happier staying with BT than moving to Sky Broadband.

Thanks again, all
    16.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks for all the help so far - ive just picked up a Link Sys Wireless-G Home Gateway .. hopefully i can install this ok (bit of a technophobe) and get my new Vistas pc online.

I may try phoning BT for a MAC code and drop hints about leaving .. i dont know whether its possible to haggle a reduction from the £18.99 im paying. If i could get it down to nearer £10 a month id be happier staying with BT than moving to Sky Broadband.

Thanks again, all

Read this thread here as it sounds like you are definitely paying BT too much, especially if they have not given you a wireless router (Home Hub).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals