Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

How to locate sewer pipe

I am looking at installing another wc and washbasin in a utility room..Its in a bungalow and is at the opposite end of the property to the main bathroom. I need to locate the existing sewer pipe, could anyone tell me the easiest way of doing this please.
Thanks in advance
Received £250.00 with one phone call to reclaim Mortgage Exit Administration£ fees AND £2995.00 bank charges from Lloyds TSb..All thanks to Martin Lewis. :T :money::T:beer:

Replies

• Bungarm2001Bungarm2001 Forumite
    686 Posts
    Try looking for manhole covers on your property first.
  • karenn1957karenn1957 Forumite
    68 Posts
    Thanks.
    there is only a stormwater drain in the garden that has a manhole.Is it possible that our sewer could be running into the neighbours? or does each property have to have its own manhole cover to access the sewer in case of problems?
    Received £250.00 with one phone call to reclaim Mortgage Exit Administration£ fees AND £2995.00 bank charges from Lloyds TSb..All thanks to Martin Lewis. :T :money::T:beer:
    686 Posts
    It could be running into the neighbours...certain properties do share drains. Have a look or ask him.
    We had a property that shared with next door, but the previous owner had seen fit to concrete over it. But thats another story!

Failing that, you could contact the local council offices and see if they have plans of the drainage around you.

Are you rural?
    68 Posts
    Hi
    No im not rural, it is a detached bungalow and i have a bad feeling that the guy next door has recently blockpaved over where the manhole was, i remember my husband did dig down one time from the existing soilpipe and im sure it went under next door fence. knowing my luck it will turn out to be a massive job. :j
  • I did this yesterday.Went to the local planning/building control office and they pulled out a plan for me.I now have to contact the water board to build my extension as it is within 3mts of a sewer pipe.This shouldn't matter to you however,but you do need building regs if you are going to alter or tap into a sewer pipe.
    68 Posts
    thanks for that.
    I will go to the town hall on monday.
  • lapatlapat Forumite
    816 Posts
    I did this yesterday.Went to the local planning/building control office and they pulled out a plan for me.I now have to contact the water board to build my extension as it is within 3mts of a sewer pipe.This shouldn't matter to you however,but you do need building regs if you are going to alter or tap into a sewer pipe.

its shouldnt really make a great deal of difference how close to the sewer you are its just more of a courtesy to the water company as they will just send a rep out stating the same as the council
    need to have a lightbulb moment
  • lapatlapat Forumite
    816 Posts
    karenn1957 wrote: »
    thanks for that.
    I will go to the town hall on monday.

dont rely on the plans completley as they are only usually the first drawings of the buildings etc and the builder may have decided to move the drains when building to suit himself as they dont have to set in stone exact to the drawings.you can also request the plans from the water comapny if you need to know where it exits your building to the street but there is a cost to this i think its about £40ish but it was a while ago when i last did it as its easier and quicker to poke,prod or dig
    686 Posts
    If your neighbour has block-paved over a manhole, then he could be in deep doo doo. He will have broken all kinds of regs...you'll have to go and ask him.
  • lapatlapat Forumite
    816 Posts
    If your neighbour has block-paved over a manhole, then he could be in deep doo doo. He will have broken all kinds of regs...you'll have to go and ask him.

not neccesary if its only a rodding point or inspection cover and there is another that can be accessed then he wont have a regs problem
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals