Withdrawing money abroad with Visa Electron?

Options
Is this possible? the guide I got with the card seems a bit ambiguous and doesn't really state either way. It only has a "plus" symbol on the back so I'm guessing not :confused: It does say you can use the card abroad for purchases. So is there any way of getting money out on it (ie cashback) whilst abroad?

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    http://international.visa.com/ps/products/debit/:

Visa Debit Cards

smarter_gold.gif
    Looking for a fast, convenient, and safe way to pay for your purchases, even when you are online? With a Visa debit card, you can purchase what you want, when and where you want it. Using your Visa debit card is quicker than making a trip to the bank, more convenient than writing checks, and safer than carrying cash. And shopping at home, online, or at locations around the world has never been easier.

Using a Visa debit card helps simplify your life. With a Visa debit card purchase, the payment is automatically debited directly from your bank account. Your monthly bank statement then provides you with a record of all your Visa debit card purchases, making it easier for you to manage your expenses.

accepted_gold.gif
    Use your Visa debit card instead of cash or checks to pay for purchases worldwide. The next time you shop at the grocery store, dine at a restaurant, or fill your car with petrol, use your Visa debit card. Visa debit makes shopping fast, convenient and safe. Visa debit cards have unsurpassed acceptance in 160 countries worldwide, giving you purchasing power whether you are at home or traveling.

You may also use your Visa debit card when you shop on the Internet. And you can use your Visa debit card to get cash at more than 950,000 ATMs worldwide.

get_gold.gif
    If your bank ATM card carries one of the following Visa symbols, you can start enjoying all the benefits of Visa debit cards today.
    flag_ve.gif

If your bank ATM card has this symbol, you can access your cash at over 950,000 ATMs around the world. plus.gif
    Important: the same 950,000 ATMs as any Visa debit card.

• Hobo17
    Hobo17 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    Ah I see, that makes it much clearer - thankyou for that :beer:
  • newfunk
    newfunk Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Options
    We were worried about this when we went to Disneyland Paris last year, but it seems Visa Electron is far more popular and accepted more on the continent.. It was a prefered method at Disney!
    In this trusted place U can erase
    Every tear that ever rolled down your weary face
    All the time U waste in that paper chase
    Is time better spent in these arms of mine
  • Luvly.cuppa.T
    Options
    Funny you should bring this up..... I've been looking into the same thing myself. I'm going to Australia and after hearing stories of how the travellers cheque isn't always accepted/no places to cash it, I need a good sturdy and reasonable alternative!
    My visa electron is with Abbey, and the purchase rate (I enquired tonight, so don't know if this is worldwide or just Australasia?) is 2.75% (all included), whereas cash withdrawel is 4.75% (all included). so yes getting cashback would be cheaper. And you can withdraw at any ATM displaying the Visa sign, so shouldn't be too bad. Still, can't help worry that could be caught out, and that things could be cheaper.....
  • sallysaver
    Options
    Hi,
    Change from Abbey to Nationwide Flex Account. No charges whatsoever, anywhere in the world.
  • Luvly.cuppa.T
    Options
    Thanks for that, but I'm going on Saturday, so may not be enough time to get card sent to me, and also I have a bad credit score (I think)...... I've looked at the site, but it doesn't say if they credit check you, and how much you need to open the account.
    I will go in tomorrow and ask- no harm , ay?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...also I have a bad credit score (I think).....I will go in tomorrow and ask- no harm , ay?
    Ask an account with a cash card - it is easier to get and works fine abroad (with ATMs).
  • Luvly.cuppa.T
    Options
    Well, I did go in and found that they do credit check you, to see what type of flexicount they can give you- I guess you could straight for the basic one?

I also didn't know if you could use the cash card abroad, so thanks for that tip!

I won't be getting it though, as it takes 10 days before I will recieve it. Shame I never put more thought into it before. I always assumed that I wouldn't get it due to bad credit score.

Oh well- hope this helps someone else out!

EDIT: what would be a better option- using electron, or getting traveller's cheques?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure