Purely £3,600 left in Isa is interested each year?

Hi All

I think its a silly question but I would like to know if I left just £3,600 in a cash isa, is this interested each year or do I need to keep adding £3,600 every year to get the interest?

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nope you don't have to put the full amount in each year, in every account I'm aware of. Some accounts are different with different terms and conditions, such as minimum deposits and so on.

However you do, I believe, have to put at least something in each year to keep the account active, but as far as I'm aware you could just put a tenner in per year and that'd be fine.

Hope I've helped somewhat :)
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • LucyTheDwarf
    LucyTheDwarf Posts: 880 Forumite
    You get interest all the while the cash is in there. So if you left it alone for a few years, it could grow quite nicely :) (but even more so if you continued adding to it in following years)

You don't need to pay in anything to keep the account open. I have an ISA that I do not pay into, I just pop into the building society every year to get the interest written in the book.
    Target Cash Net Worth: £25K by January 2012
    Progress
    May-08
    19.0%; May-09 40.0%; May-10 63.0%; May-11 58.4%; Jun-11 58.5%; Jul-11 58.9%; Aug-11 58.7%; Sep-11 59.0%
  • debbie42
    debbie42 Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    One thing to look out for is that old ISAs don't always have competitive rates. The banks rely on people's apathy to not bother transferring or upgrading.
    Debbie
  • whu
    whu Posts: 23,461 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    as has been said above - you can just leave it and get interest but i agree with Debbie - make sure you are getting the best rate - if not consider transferring to a better paying ISA
    Keep the Faith:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport