'An overseas wallet... do you have one?' blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, both OH and I have one as we travel in Europe a lot. I only have one cash card though, so that migrates between wallets when we are away.

Normally contains:

Healthcard
    Contact details for next of kin
    Photocopy of passport
    Euros (as we don't bother changing them)
    16 aspirin :) (stuff like this is expensive in Germany compared to here and you need to find a pharmacist)
    One of my two student cards - as many places will offer student rates even to those studying in other countries

Plus the obligatory wodge of screwed up receipts, bus tickets, old flight details and chocolate wrappers that is a feature of any wallet I own :D
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well in fact I do carry my Boots loyalty card so I can buy a meal deal once I'm through security at the airport :)
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I have just had to buy a new one for my most recent trip, I dug it out from the desk and realised that it might not go the distance.
    I too carry my Nationwide card in this wallet as it is the only time that I use it and the $88 that I have left will do me for next year. I always add a second cc in case I see a bargain that might put me over my limit on my NW card.
    I have a card printed with contact detais of next of kin and my passport number although I had to re-do it this year as my sister moved home.
  • pinkfluffybabe
    pinkfluffybabe Posts: 2,986 Forumite
    Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have one too:

Nationwide Visa Debit
    Nationwide CC
    EHIC
    Euros
    BAA Worldpoints card (for airport spending).
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 14/53 UU, 11 IN
  • beaker141
    beaker141 Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have similar, but with post office credit card in and thankfully about £400 worth of euros from last year that I got at 1.5 euros to the pound ! My own little hedging policy in action !

I also tend to keep my driving licence there, because I forgot to take it one year and had to wait several hours to get a copy faxed before they would let me take the hire car !!!
  • MastG
    MastG Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have a money belt kept for the sole purpose of travelling (I back pack and find a money belt easier and safer)

It currently has 69 Dollars, 236 Euros, 5000 Yen, 80 Thai Baht and 30 Indian Rupees and 2 x $100 dollar travellers cheques.

My EHIC card is with my driving license, travel insurance, yellow fever cert. and passport.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yeah, I've got a travel wallet sat in my drawer loaded up with passport, e1-11(?), Nationwide card, pen, travel insurance docs, spare mastercard and a couple of old plane tickets in (I read somewhere once that if you looked like you fly a lot you're more likely to get upgraded...).

I've only used it twice or something, but it's there if I need it :)
  • Jennifer_Jane
    Jennifer_Jane Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have two 'foreign' wallets - one for Europe with Euros, and one for South Africa with SA Rands, SA card for the autoteller, SA credit card, and my SA ID document and my pensioner card. Nothing else in them, but do use a moonbag for travelling and carry the three wallets plus passport, insurance and so on in that. In my cabin luggage will also be details of my South African bank/pensions/tax if I'm going there to see to 'business', etc, so carrying a folder as well.
  • kittykitten
    kittykitten Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    And here I was thinking I was the only mad person (except my mum) who did this!

Content much the same as others have already posted - EHIC, contact NOK details, any random foreign phonecards etc that I've brought back from previous trips abroad, random foreign receipts, train tickets and boarding cards that I never get round to clearing out, a useful currency converter card (was useful anyway, probably not anywhere near accurate any more!), elastoplasts, my epilepsy tablets, about £15 for spending in the airport and foreign currency. I never exchange the currency I bring back, for 2 reasons: the first the same as Martin mentioned, and secondly it serves as my emergency money - I know it's there if ever I get to a point where I'm totally broke I'll convert it then. I hope I never need to, but it's a 'just in case' fund. $253 and 215 euros at the moment!
    OS weight loss challenge: 4.5/6 lbs
  • jno
    jno Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I actually live in Austria but love Martin's forums and TV show. I often travel over the border to Hungary where they do not use forint.

My only tip for Brits is that when changing cash for cash, think about when you might be travelling again and if you see yourself going again, change a large amount of money in one go to avoid paying charges on multiple occasions.

Luckily I recently changed 5000 GBP into EUROs for my father when the rate was 1.46 - since then it has sunk to 1.28 - ok, it is impossible to know when markets are going up and down but based on recent events the exchange rate is sinking fast which backs up the the theory of changing large amounts and keeping them, either under the bed or in a euro account somewhere.

I would welcome and responses from expats on how Brits can save money abroad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure