'An overseas wallet... do you have one?' blog discussion

Replies

• Martin has previously recommended withdrawing cash from ATM's using the Zero card even though they charge interest on cash withdrawals from the day of the transaction, provided you pay the money back in full on the first statement.

We're going to the States early next year and I've got a Zero card specifically for that trip to avoid the transaction charges.

Does anybody know whether you could avoid the cash withdrawal charge by pre-loading your card with a credit before you go away? Can't see how they can charge me for giving me my own money, although I guess you would need to be careful they don't pay it back into your bank account while you are away!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • I would also recommend a copy of your contact lenses prescription. I have come unstuck with this before (australia) and they are unwilling to provide a new supply of lenses as I think they are liable if you then have problems.
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live for half the year in Spain and until two years ago was there full-time for five years.

So I do have an overseas purse. It contains euros, my Spanish ID and medical cards, my bank card for Caja Granada. I also have credit cards, my driving licence and an EHIC card whiich migrate between both purses.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • I live in Spain but had a Nationwide account for a long time before we moved. Just as well since it's impossible to open a UK account whilst living elsewhere. I've got more or less same things in wallet for travelling (usually to UK) but also have insurance4carhirepolicy documents, to cover car hire excess. Saved a fortune
  • Nationwide's credit card has always been recommended for overseas purchases, and I have had their card for some years now, and use it purely for that purpose. Unfortunately, just yesterday, they informed me that as I had not used the card for some months, they were closing the account at the end of the month when the card expires. Do I protest? Have I any say in the matter? Any comments appreciated, please.
  • as nationwide are about to charge for using card abroad which will be best i live in spain
  • GizasmumGizasmum Forumite
    255 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Nationwide's credit card has always been recommended for overseas purchases, and I have had their card for some years now, and use it purely for that purpose. Unfortunately, just yesterday, they informed me that as I had not used the card for some months, they were closing the account at the end of the month when the card expires. Do I protest? Have I any say in the matter? Any comments appreciated, please.

Why not just use the card in the UK a couple of times before it expires, then they won't be able to use that excuse. They will then need to issue new card and you won't have the same problem to worry about again for another 3 years. Simplez :beer:
  • jackyannjackyann Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No-one has mentioned the SAGA credit card (you're all under 55?)
    0% charge in Europe, 1% rest of the world. My tip is to top it up before you go, then you can use it like a debit card to withdraw cash ( at the same rates). This would not work if you needed to put a lot on the credit card and rely on paying it off later, but it works very well for me.

As for the EHIC card: you get the same rates as residents of that country, so if it might be an issue, check with FCO what that is.
    My travel insurer is cheap, and has the condition that I will use my EHIC card to get my entitlement, then it will cover whatever I have to pay.
    I usually stay with friends or camp, so I wasn't aware of how tour operators work until I booked a package holiday a few years ago. They tried to sell me their travel insurance, and I refused. They then insisted that I gave details of my insurance, which I thought odd, but did. When I got there, I realised that they had a deal with a local doctor / clinic for holiday-makers to be seen privately, not using the EHIC system.
  • I recently had a long holiday in the USA. Before I went I got a Saga credit card (yes, I'm that old) and paid money onto it, so I was in credit.

While I was abroad I was able to use the card to pay bills and withdraw money with no charges other than the few ATMs that made a charge for withdrawals (e.g. Wells Fargo charge $3).

I did speak to Saga before I went so they knew this was happening.

Hope that helps somebody. It contradicts Martin's answer on this week's email, but nobody's perfect!
  • jackyann wrote: »
    No-one has mentioned the SAGA credit card (you're all under 55?)
    0% charge in Europe, 1% rest of the world. My tip is to top it up before you go, then you can use it like a debit card to withdraw cash ( at the same rates). This would not work if you needed to put a lot on the credit card and rely on paying it off later, but it works very well for me.

As for the EHIC card: you get the same rates as residents of that country, so if it might be an issue, check with FCO what that is.
    My travel insurer is cheap, and has the condition that I will use my EHIC card to get my entitlement, then it will cover whatever I have to pay.
    I usually stay with friends or camp, so I wasn't aware of how tour operators work until I booked a package holiday a few years ago. They tried to sell me their travel insurance, and I refused. They then insisted that I gave details of my insurance, which I thought odd, but did. When I got there, I realised that they had a deal with a local doctor / clinic for holiday-makers to be seen privately, not using the EHIC system.

Saga do not charge 1% for the "rest of the world", it's 0% everywhere.
    I Think you might be confusing them with Nationwide who charge 0% in Europe and 1% elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides