Warning: Tyre Insurance Ripoff

Options

Comments

• Letrip
    Letrip Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, read this thread as I have also purchased the insurance.

To clarify it is max £300 PER TYRE up to 5 claims can be made.

Thats up to £1,500!

And I have! So hopefully clears that one for you.
  • reesk_2
    Options
    I too was coxed into buying the BMW tyre insurance. It is indeed a clever way of cheating the customer...by the BMW.
    I purchased a 2 year old X5 with a mileage of 21000. A few months later I noticed a damaged tyre. I took it to BMW Redhill, they said the tyre cost is £ 350 and I paid the excess of £50 and got the tyre replaced. A month ago, I took the X5 for MOT and then the car failed MOT for a damaged tyre (the same one which was replaced earlier). This again got replaced for an excess payment of £50 (tyre price at the BMW was £350). Last week the car indicated flat tyre and I immediately took it to BMW. They said the tyre and alloy both are damaged and this time the tyre price quoted by BMW was £ 387! I did ask why had the tyre price gone up so suddenly. There was no explanation. I got suspicious and I then checked the tyre price with one of th local shops and to my surprise they got me the same tyr for(RFT) £147!
    Now I know how this rip off insurance actually worked to the benefit of BMW (and the insurer). The BMW is quoting the tyre at hyperinflated price (more than double the actual price) and even if you get 5 replacements, you end up paying about £50+50+87+87+87=361. Your pay more than this as the premium...(400+361=761). The BMW will be getting the tyre at cost price. So, over all, they will not loose any money even if they give 5 tyre replacements as they are getting a total of £ 761. We, the cusomers, can buy 5 tyres for £750 which means the BMW tyre insurance is an absolute wasteful spending.
    We have to stop this day light robbery….
  • reesk_2
    Options
    Is tyre insurance just if you get a puncture? What would happen for wear and tear? I live in a remote part of country and need new tyres every 15 months or so as I do lots of mileage.

I guess it is just for a puncture?

Is there a minimum depth of tyre that you need for them to replace it?

Hubby has a BMW bike and I wonder if it would be worth it? He has had two punctures in the last 2 years. One BMW bike tyre costs around £180.

I have a BMW car and it has the run flats.
    I too was coxed into buying the BMW tyre insurance. It is indeed a clever way of cheating the customer...by the BMW.
    I purchased a 2 year old X5 with a mileage of 21000. A few months later I noticed a damaged tyre. I took it to BMW Redhill, they said the tyre cost is £ 350 and I paid the excess of £50 and got the tyre replaced. A month ago, I took the X5 for MOT and then the car failed MOT for a damaged tyre (the same one which was replaced earlier). This again got replaced for an excess payment of £50 (tyre price at the BMW was £350). Last week the car indicated flat tyre and I immediately took it to BMW. They said the tyre and alloy both are damaged and this time the tyre price quoted by BMW was £ 387! I did ask why had the tyre price gone up so suddenly. There was no explanation. I got suspicious and I then checked the tyre price with one of th local shops and to my surprise they got me the same tyr for(RFT) £147!
    Now I know how this rip off insurance actually worked to the benefit of BMW (and the insurer). The BMW is quoting the tyre at hyperinflated price (more than double the actual price) and even if you get 5 replacements, you end up paying about £50+50+87+87+87=361. Your pay more than this as the premium...(400+361=761). The BMW will be getting the tyre at cost price. So, over all, they will not loose any money even if they give 5 tyre replacements as they are getting a total of £ 761. We, the cusomers, can buy 5 tyres for £750 which means the BMW tyre insurance is an absolute wasteful spending.
    We have to stop this day light robbery….
  • petesthoughts
    Options
    why pay this for tyre insurance when you can have other options. For example, I have puncturesafe fitted to my car. It usually costs less than one tyre and will provide a permanent puncture prevention for the whole life of the tyre. Evenif you get a nail in your tyre you are unlikley to need it replacing.
    It is a simple job to have it installed.
  • ltrsouth
    Options
    I have just been offered insurance on my run flat tyres on my mini. The cost is now £449 for 3 years, terms and conditions appear to be the same.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do people actually believe that tyre insurance actually benefits any body other than the insurance company and the people who sell it?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • auroan
    auroan Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    Why pay for another RFT, just replace them with std tyres.
  • dsboss
    dsboss Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I know the post is old, but here's my experience.

I had just one puncture for all last 10 years. Had the BMW Tyre Insurance for some time and replaced that tyre through. No excess to pay and my policy covers up to £300 (depends on your cover, tyre size, etc) per tyre for up to 5 tyres during the life of the policy.

I am not sure why the original poster was asked to pay £50 excess.

My BMW dealer matched the lowest high-street price I could find when I replaced all 4 tyres last time, so it all depends who you are dealing with. So far, I am pleased with my local BMW dealership, and that is Harry Fairbairn in Glasgow.
  • Wittytricky
    Options
    I bought tyre insurance for my new VW Toureg ( got it half price at £199) they are always able to discount it at the garage. Within one year I have had 3 punctures all have been replaced at a cost of £280 per tyre but cost me nothing, ! I have had value for money
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought tyre insurance for my new VW Toureg ( got it half price at £199) they are always able to discount it at the garage. Within one year I have had 3 punctures all have been replaced at a cost of £280 per tyre but cost me nothing, ! I have had value for money

You do know the thread is old ?

You must know that as you searched and the thread was in the search results.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure