Duplicate Tax Disc -on taxed car with no tax disc, bought at auction

Options
1234568»

Comments

• grumpyoldgit_2
    Options
    john 539

I don't agree with your interpretation of the VEL laws BUT well done for sticking to your guns in the face of some offensive comments!

GoG
    K eep
    I t
    S imple
    S tupid!!
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Keith wrote: »
    I just read your past threads, why do you continue to ask questions but not take any of the advice on board?

This website is of no use to you, try www.google.co.uk

Anyway, good luck with the refund, is it because the car is not insured and you are driving it on the 3rd party entitlement of your insuance?

My guess is he will ignore this reply as he did mine saying much the same thing.
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    john539 wrote: »
    You watch too many TV programs.

Keep telling yourself that John, but I am affraid goldspanners is 100% correct.

A friend of a friend got stopped and that is exactly what happened to her....
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    The world is full of clueless muppets.

Sure is, look in any mirror, you will see the biggest one on this forum.:rolleyes: :wall:
  • gner_ex
    gner_ex Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    I can actually see where John is coming from. I certainly agree that it is morally wrong, but as to whether it is fraud... I don't know.

I once bought a banger at auction, and went to tax it. The clerk told me that there was already VED on this vehicle and suggested that I apply for a duplicate. I said that that disc was presumably in the post to be cashed in, so I purchased a fresh 12 months disc.

Its certainly an interesting idea though. If http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk shows that a vehicle is taxed, it seems reasonable (to a point) to rely on that and _perhaps_ get a copy of the disc.

But of course, the theft/fraud issue is a valid point.
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Could always contact the previous owner and ask what the situation is with the tax...?
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gner_ex wrote: »
    I can actually see where John is coming from. I certainly agree that it is morally wrong, but as to whether it is fraud... I don't know.

I once bought a banger at auction, and went to tax it. The clerk told me that there was already VED on this vehicle and suggested that I apply for a duplicate. I said that that disc was presumably in the post to be cashed in, so I purchased a fresh 12 months disc.

the same happened to me on my corsa i bought at auction, however i rang dvla who said there was tax showing on the vehicle for another 5 months, i was told that a refund may be being process, dvla told me if a car has no tax disc just to get new ved from post office is not worth losing your car over no tax, so i just got a new ved

IF YOU TRY TO DEFRAUD DVLA YOU WILL BE CAUGHT - just buy new ved OP its not worth losing your car.
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Jvic28
    Jvic28 Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    Now that is a good post.

But the situation you describe is slightly different.
    You seem to be saying that people who have part-exchanged their car with the tax disc have then got a Duplicate for a car they no longer have.

The situation is slightly different but the point I was trying to make was that they were applying for a duplicate tax disc just before trading in the car (therefore they are still the registered keeper) and giving us the now invalid tax disc and claiming the refund for themselves after handing the car over to us. I think the principle is about the same. They are claiming a refund on a car when no longer own the cars.

x
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No 190
    17/05/08 - Total on DMP: £10025.70
    07/05/14 - Total on DMP: £1666.20 DFD: July 2017!!
    Baby Tomos born 5th June 2009 - 6lb 5oz :j
    Weight Loss Target - to lose 60.8lb by NYE 2015 - 37.6lb TO GO
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mcjordi wrote: »
    IF YOU TRY TO DEFRAUD DVLA YOU WILL BE CAUGHT - just buy new ved OP its not worth losing your car.
    You're not defrauding the DVLA, more like thay are systematically defrauding the public.

When cars change hands the Seller will lose the tax/money on the remainder of the month they are not the owner, the Buyer will likely pay tax for part month they were not the owner.

The DVLA/Government gets 2 lots of Tax for that changeover month.

By reusing lost Tax you are being Green in making efficient use of Tax that has been paid & saving the planet.
  • gner_ex
    gner_ex Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    John, I did NOT write the text that you have quoted as me.

I would be obliged if you (or a moderator) could amend your post. The quote was from MCJORDI.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure