🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

pregnant, dad done a runner Help!

Options
Hi

I am pregnant. But I am not with the dad.

We was in a happy relationship, but now I am pregnant he has done a runner!

I work, have 2 children (from a previous violent relationship), and am on working family's tax credits, I also am on a little housing benefit and council tax credit.

I want to continue working, & go on maternity pay when the baby's born, and then after a few months return to work.

The dad doesn't want me to have this baby, but I cannot terminate this pregnancy, he said he doesn't want anything to do with this baby.

Will the tax credits people or the housing benefit people will require information about the baby's father? and if I don't give it to them will my benefits be stopped?

I am desperate for help (please don't judge me)

thanks in advance

Jazminlou

Comments

• addictedtosoreen
    Options
    Hi
    (((((((hugs)))))) didnt want to read and leave!
    go to your local job centre adviser, they will help you work out what you are entitled to and will help with tax credits and housing benefit. i think the most helpful person to talk to is the "lone parent adviser"
    to be honest, you are better off without him if he !!!!!!s off when you are pregnant, you will be a fantastic mummy on your own. i was in a violent relationship so i do understand, i ended up on my own with a 7, 5 and 5 month old baby and its the best thing i ever did. i am a better person for being on my own. people on here wont judge you, they are a lovely bunch and will offer lots of support and practical advise for money saving ect ect

stay strong, keep us posted

:A
    Dear Lord,so far today i am doing alright. i have not lost my temper, been selfish or rude.i have not cursed,whined or eaten any chocolate. HOWEVER, i will be getting out of bed in a minute and i will need a lot more help after that...amen
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Make sure you inform everyone that you have seperated - especially Tax Credits, they will end your joint claim and set up a new single claim there and then over the phone.
  • Jazminlou
    Options
    Hi 'addictedtosoreen'

Thank you so much for your support. I am not sure the job centre advisor or lone parent people will give me advise as I am not on income support? also I am so busy at the moment with work and the kids, it would be great if someone on here knew and could just write on here.

But thank you so much for your reply and support. xxx

Hi 'subsoniccoyote"

Thank you so much for your reply, but we never lived together. He was never on my tax credit claim, I thought that when I found out I was pregnant he might have moved in! but he ran away!
  • addictedtosoreen
    Options
    try "entitled to" website. its on here somewhere. jobcentre very helpful ( you dont have to be on income support ect) maybe there is an adviser on here that can be more helpful?
    ring tax credits and local council re; housing and council tax benefit:confused:
    Dear Lord,so far today i am doing alright. i have not lost my temper, been selfish or rude.i have not cursed,whined or eaten any chocolate. HOWEVER, i will be getting out of bed in a minute and i will need a lot more help after that...amen
  • addictedtosoreen
    Options
    ooooops, the link to entitled to is at the top of this page. articles ;benefit check up!!!
  • Jazminlou
    Options
    Hi Thanks for your reply, I went on the entitled to site, and I know I am am entitled to help, but what I am worried about is, will they or the housing benefit people try to get get in touch with him? will they want me to tell them his details?

He doesn't want me to have this baby, so I don't want them to contact him. Will the tax credits people or housing benefit people try to get get in touch with him? or is it nothing to do with the claim?

Thanks Jazminlou xxx
  • Mips
    Mips Posts: 19,796 Forumite
    Options
    Jazminlou wrote: »
    Hi Thanks for your reply, I went on the entitled to site, and I know I am am entitled to help, but what I am worried about is, will they or the housing benefit people try to get get in touch with him? will they want me to tell them his details?

He doesn't want me to have this baby, so I don't want them to contact him. Will the tax credits people or housing benefit people try to get get in touch with him? or is it nothing to do with the claim?

Thanks Jazminlou xxx

My friend did this. She had a baby with a Man who didn't want it, but more importantly, didn't want to be short of a few quid each week for child maintenance.

She didn't tell anybody she had the child, however, her rent was not being paid the full amount and her benefits were reduced. This caused endless problems for her, including her almost being evicted.

Just because you don't want anything to do with him, doesn't mean you shouldn't/can't hand his name in.
    :cool:
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I am aware, well in my own personal experience, I've only ever been asked to provide my sons fathers details when cvlaiming Income support, tax credits dont ask, and hb dont ask either.
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
  • Mips
    Mips Posts: 19,796 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I am aware, well in my own personal experience, I've only ever been asked to provide my sons fathers details when cvlaiming Income support, tax credits dont ask, and hb dont ask either.

I know Income Support want the details - my friend was only having trouble with HB because she moved into a flat with one child, yet needed the top up rent that she was entitled to, when the second child came along.. if that makes sense.
    :cool:
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    Options
    Dippychick wrote: »
    I know Income Support want the details - my friend was only having trouble with HB because she moved into a flat with one child, yet needed the top up rent that she was entitled to, when the second child came along.. if that makes sense.
    not really :o

Did she not inform anyone she had a child?
    As long as the OP claims all the relevent benefits for her child and informs the HB office, her HB will be adjusted acordingly, so she'll get more. dunno if that makes sense lol
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family