When they let you down, ask them for compensation

Comments

• i've been having many many problems with O2 as detailed in this post

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=87891

and if it wasn't for MSE and Saynoto0870 i'd probably be out well over £100 on phone calls alone for the ammount of times i would have had to make 1hr calls to them just to be cold transfered through to another department and have to go throught it all again.

anyway i asked for a good will gesture from them because i would have made so many expensive calls and had to get my credit report twice (free from using this site but £20 otherwise). well after many many calls and emails they finally offered £5. £5!!!!!!! and that is all. so i gave up and i'm taking my business elsewhere.

they really really don't grasp the concept that you should atleast try and keep your customers happy in some way. but nooooooooooooooo.

ah well rant over yet again.
    Hello Floor Make Me A Sandwich!
  • TalkTalk are rubbish when it comes to goodwill, manners or being nice to customers at all, for that matter... :mad: I've spend 21 hours on the phone sorting out a problem with our service and the CS manager flatly refused my request for a goodwill gesture, saying that he 'couldn't see what else he could do'. All he did was apologise but nothing more.

They were efficient enough when it came to taking payment details and setting up continuous credit card authority without my consent... :mad:

The moral of my story is DON'T GET LINE RENTAL FROM TALKTALK - THEY DON'T ALLOW PREFIX PROVIDERS TO BE ACCESSED, SUCH AS 18866, etc. and when a problem occurs you have to inform them, if their office is open, and if it is, you have to wait in a queue for a minumum of 10 minutes max of 38 mins. Then, they log a fault and email their faults department, who perform a diagnostic check on the line. This takes 3 working days to process. Then if they find a fault they contact BT who then take a further 24 hours to contact you and ask you to explain the whole problem again, that is if they can contact you at all if your phone line isn't down :mad: then you wait another week for an engineer to come out and say there's nothing wrong with the line, it's TalkTalk's 'system error'. Cue a charge from BT for £75 :mad: BT have kindly refunded this but TalkTalk refuse to take responsibility for it.

I had a genuine line failure about 7 years ago when connected with BT, within 4 hours they had done the checks, an engineer had visited and replaced the faulty wiring leaving the front of my house :T I'd say leave line rental with BT as it isn't worth the 50p saving per month for the trouble you'll encounter if anything goes wrong.

Phew :o sorry to rant on. Feel much better now :j
  • Al_Mac
    Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tried to claim from the water company. The water was out when we got home, didn't come on until about 3am. We had been told it went off at midday.

12 Hour rule applied, yippee, their timings didn't agree with residents:mad:

Also the "resonable efforts to inform" quote from the website, means an answerphone message during office hours only:mad:

I don't trust any company any more.:eek:

If you have electricity in Yorkshire a friend worked all Christmas day, a couple of years back sorting problems. Not on call, but wifey agreed it was the right thing to do.:beer: Respect to Tim.:D
  • Have also come to the conclusion that this works. Recently, after assertively contacting companies, I've had £2 off a DVD from CD-WOW (delay in shipping by 3 weeks yet they take your money when you order), 15,000 pure points from RCI after some crummy accommodation and a reduction in my BT broadband monthly rate for the months after telling them I was planning to swap! None of these were offered when I first approached the companies, it can take persistence!

By the way - speaking of RCI points - does anyone know of how to sell these them? Martin - could you look into this? It seems you have to sell them , you can't just lapse them as you're still liable for the management fees. Anyone????
  • Ah yes! It never hurts to go to the top!

For reference 9anyone who needs it) -Sir Christopher Bland is currently at the helm of BT.....
  • jpieter
    jpieter Posts: 222 Forumite
    I have been having trouble with Atlantic Electric and Gas for the past 13 months about totally wrong electricity bills. I live in a flat and during this summer they reckoned I had used £430 of electricity !!!!!!!!!!! which is impossible. To cut a very long story short. I had the bill revised drastically ( they put it down to changes in their billing systems ) and only yesterday I had a corrected bill with a £20 goodwill payment!!! It strikes me that for 13 months of extreme hassle it is a very small amount???
    Does anyone know who to contact at Atlantic who is higher than the minions on the floor? and is this a reasonable goodwill payment?
  • jpieter wrote:
    I have been having trouble with Atlantic Electric and Gas for the past 13 months about totally wrong electricity bills. I live in a flat and during this summer they reckoned I had used £430 of electricity !!!!!!!!!!! which is impossible. To cut a very long story short. I had the bill revised drastically ( they put it down to changes in their billing systems ) and only yesterday I had a corrected bill with a £20 goodwill payment!!! It strikes me that for 13 months of extreme hassle it is a very small amount???
    Does anyone know who to contact at Atlantic who is higher than the minions on the floor? and is this a reasonable goodwill payment?

To be honest, I thought AtlanticEG had gone into administration and folded a couple of years back. But it would appear they were bought out by Scottish & Southern (Scottish Hydro, Southern Electric and SWALEC).

If you Google the company name and maybe put chief executive or managing director in with it, you usually find someone at the top who you can email and get things done.

Did you agree the £20 goodwill gesture with them? If yes, then that is pretty much it. If you haven't then get back on the phone to them.

Tell them if you took the case to energywatch (the consumer body for the energy market) they would be looking at an initial fine of £50. That is just how much energywatch charges a supplier for having to get involved.

If the case then went in your favour, you would probably get a reduction in the bill amount by up to 50%. It should be noted that reductions of this are common, particularly where people haven't received bills at all.

Have you been making payments during this period of error? If so you are in an even stronger position because you have been responsible enough to know that you have been using the energy and making payment towards it.

If all else fails, use the old well I'll just leave trick. Tell them that you were prepared to stick with them and give them another chance, but if they are not prepared to do something to restore your confidence in them, then you will have to seek alternative arrangements for your energy needs.

If they dont give you something from that, then pick up your bat and ball and head home!!

Hope that gives you a little help.

JC

PS it is worth keeping in mind that most frontliners are not allowed to give you a lot of compensation. At British Gas, we are not supposed to gove more than £20. We are supposed to discuss alternatives with our Team Manager and if they authorise more then so be it.

But when you have worked for the company for nearly 5 years, you can tell the chancers from the genuine aggrieved, so I give them what I think is fair and would make happy, if I were them.

PPS When askinng for compensation/good will, always ask for what you would love to get, cause chances are you wont. Have it set in your mind what you would love and what you would be prepared to accept. Provided you get somewhere in between those two points, you should be happy.

As the old saying goes 'Aim high, shoot low'

JC
  • Thanks for the reply 'TOUGH REF' it certainly is good advice.
    Yes I have been paying a set amount each month by direct debit . I forgot to say that you are supposed to get back after a year one months payment , as a thank you, (which I expect you have guessed) I havent had and the second is due next month!!!!
  • Thank you Ivan and Tough Ref; I will try the CEO this afternoon. Onetel were going to supply me with Broadband but there was a hitch and it all went pear shaped. I have e-mailed and written to Centrica customer services as well as untold phone calls, but hopefully this will be the answer. I'll let you know if it succeeds.
  • I got a bill through from N Power Electric saying I hadnt paid for a year. I had been pating buy d/d for the whole year and told them and the call centre assistant was awful. I checked my statements and I had paid, and after speaking to someone else I hadbeen paying someone elses bill! They sent me a good will payment of £25.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure