Ba/ Gb Airways - Cancelled Flight - Help Please

Options

Comments

• WiseInvestor_2
    Options
    There are some excellent websites detailing the exact wording and applications of the new EU Compensation regulations (No 261/2004). For clarity, I've chosen a few extracts from BA's own website ba.com for the most relevant bits (my emphasis):
    Passengers whose flight is cancelled, shall have the choice of either:

- Re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to the final destination of the ticket presented at check-in at the earliest opportunity or at a later date at the passenger’s convenience, subject to availability; or
    - A refund payable to the person who purchased the ticket. This applies to the part or parts of the journey not flown.
    Where a flight has been cancelled ... the operating carrier will provide hotel accommodation if necessary
    This part relates to delays/cancellations on the day of departure, so I suspect you'd struggle to argue a necessity based on your convenience for a flight due to depart in 6 weeks from now
    passengers are not entitled to compensation if they have been informed of a cancellation fourteen days or more before the planned departure date

On your last point, GB Airways only recently decided to commence operations from Manchester, on the understanding they could find enough aircraft to fly the schedules. So far they have moved aircraft from their existing London bases (Heathrow/Gatwick), leased 1 aircraft directly from BA and have more on order from the manufacturer. It is possible (though no facts here!) that acquiring aircraft has proved more difficult than originally planned, hence some changes to their intended schedules.

In addition, part of the franchise contract between BA & GB prevents GB from operating flights that could/should otherwise be operated by BA - clearly it's not in their interests to start a price war with eachother! GB may (again, no facts!) have encountered contractual difficulties on some routes.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
  • JeNjEn_3
    Options
    The original flight we booked was on Friday 4th November. The email we had stated that it had been changed to Sunday 6th November. However the following info is showing on the BA Website

Manchester - Paphos BA6826/6827

Sunday flight 6 November-19 November cancelled - note 30 October does operate - Standard Commercial Policy applies to customers affected by these cancellations.
    To view this policy please click here.

New flight on Friday.

It seems that no-one knows whats happening. We were speaking to a really helpful chap at Newcastle earlier in the week, but he is now on leave and although we have raised the query with BA, that their website and their email contradict each other - no-one has had the courtesy to call us back.

What are we supposed to believe?
  • ianfao
    ianfao Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    How long are you going for and how much would you be refunded?
  • JeNjEn_3
    Options
    We were going for 16 nights and the total cost was around £500 for the flights
  • ianfao
    Options
    Okay. I only ask as I work in an independent travel agency and have access to all the sytems and operators. I will take a look and see if you can get anything at all. Please don't think I am trying to do a hard sell here, it's very quiet at the moment and am twiddling my thumbs so happy to try and help out.
  • JeNjEn_3
    Options
    Cheers - just checked it was £509 for the 3 of us.
  • ianfao
    Options
    Wow that was a bargain. Will see what I can find.
  • ianfao
    Options
    The best I can find so far is:

Flying out with First Choice on the 19th October from Manchester 1245 arriving 1925

http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/flights/

The price on the First Choice website for this leg of the flight is £163.50 for 3 seats.

Coming back is causing a slight problem but you can get back with Cyprus Airways 2nd November from Paphos 0950 and back to Manchester 1250. This leg though is coming in at £606.30 for all 3 of you.

http://www.itn.net/cgi/get?jet/tools/air/one_way:zT592IWna2K*itn/ord=1127561363.06534,itn/air/cyprusairways

I'm afraid the total isn't as cheap as the £509 with BA though - £769 for all 3 of you.

The other thing you could try and do (as the First Choice fare out is a good price) is to contact some travel agents out in Cyprus to get a fare for the Paphos to Manchester flight.

Sorry I couldn't be of any greater help.
  • JeNjEn_3
    Options
    ianfao wrote:
    The best I can find so far is:

Flying out with First Choice on the 19th October from Manchester 1245 arriving 1925

http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/flights/

The price on the First Choice website for this leg of the flight is £163.50 for 3 seats.

Coming back is causing a slight problem but you can get back with Cyprus Airways 2nd November from Paphos 0950 and back to Manchester 1250. This leg though is coming in at £606.30 for all 3 of you.

http://www.itn.net/cgi/get?jet/tools/air/one_way:zT592IWna2K*itn/ord=1127561363.06534,itn/air/cyprusairways

I'm afraid the total isn't as cheap as the £509 with BA though - £769 for all 3 of you.

The other thing you could try and do (as the First Choice fare out is a good price) is to contact some travel agents out in Cyprus to get a fare for the Paphos to Manchester flight.

Sorry I couldn't be of any greater help.

Thanks for you help in the matter it will be taken into account and is greatly appreciated.
  • ianfao
    Options
    You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't find a better fare though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure