storing wedding dress

Options
Please help i love my dress but now that the wedding is all over i don't know what or how to store it! At the mo it is hung down my bannister and taking up too much room!
thanks

Comments

• Al_Mac
    Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congtulations:T on getting married.

When you say, store it, are you planning on converting it to a party dress, or using it again:eek: ?

Sell it, Mrs Mac cried for an hour after her dress went.:o
  • Liz19
    Liz19 Posts: 673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wedding dress was professionally cleaned after the wedding and is stored in a box in acid free tissue paper in my parents loft and has been for 16 years and is still as good as new. I couldn't bear to part with it.
  • Jess_B
    Jess_B Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    I had mine cleaned and boxed at the dry cleaners too, its just sitting in the loft. Couldn't even think about selling it!
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It depends on the dress, but I washed mine in the washing machine and it was fine. I folded it neatly and put it in one of those jumbo laundry bags you can get for storing jumpers etc in, and put it up the loft.

It stayed in excellent condition and I recently sold it. The lady who bought it was thrilled with it.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine are at my mums somewhere. I didnt know what to do with them and couldnt bring myself to throw them away either. Was hoping my mum would dispose of them without me noticing but she is just as bad as me and can't bring herself to get rid of them..:confused:

(1 wedding two dresses ;) )
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!
  • across
    across Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Options
    i had mine dry cleaned through wedding dress shop and packed away but i must say it still had marks on it after dry cleaning and i couldnt be bothered to take it back and go through it all again! it would have washed better in the washer!!
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    I washed mine by hand. I find that most clothes labelled "dry clean only" will happily tolerate gentle washing (velvet being one notable exception), and dry cleaners charge quite a lot for wedding dresses. Mine is in the loft somewhere, in the plastic zippy hanging bag it came in, with a sachet of silica gel so hopefully it won't get any damp/jumble-saley smells.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    First wedding outfit went in a declutter after the D I V O R C E:snow_laug around 15 years ago, I kept the lacy gloves for a while and the shoes but they have gone now.

Second wedding outfit (still very happily married by the way) went in a charity shop bag yesterday because I won't ever wear it and I can't see the point of it taking up room in the wardrobe.

However this thread is quite interesting to me because I have a long evening dress which is too long for the wardrobe and as I have only worn it once I don't want to get rid just yet:xmassign:
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • HGLTsuperstar
    Options
    My Mum's was stored in a simple drycleaning style wrapper and boxed for 13 years, no yellowing etc, then converted into my 1st Holy Communion dress.
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    www.emptybox.co.uk have lovely boxes for storing wedding dresses long term, which are acid free.

I actually ordered mine from www.1stcallforweddings.co.uk which sell the emptybox boxes but slightly cheaper, and seemed to have a slightly wider range of them.

HTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport