Unknown payments on my statement?

Options
For the past three months (that's as far back as I can go online) there has been a charge of $9.95 coming out of my bank account on the 5th of every month. I don't know what it's for. It could have been coming out for longer, I am in the process of getting my statements from my bank to check this.

It's not much I know but regardless I queried it with my bank. They basically told me what I already knew: i.e. the amount, the company etc.

The problem is I don't have a clue what this is for. All it says is *Dri.CCNOW.com* and a US phone number. This is just the payment processor and their phone number - i.e. like Paypal. Pretty useless. I got onto CCNOW.com and inquired further. They said there was absolutely no record of this charge - I was on the phone for a good 30 mins and the guy searched through by name, date, country, everything. He said it doesn't exist.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do, it isn't much but I'd rather not be spending £60 a year on something I have no idea what it's for... Can someone help me with this? Both bank and processor are washing their hands of me :( I don't want to close the entire account for the sake of £5 a month... Any advice appreciated! :)
"The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."

Comments

• skyrider007
    skyrider007 Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    Is it a Debit Card transaction? If so, you could file a dispute form and get your money back. Also ask them to issue you a new card with different number to prevent similar charge from appearing on your statement again.
  • jimpix12
    jimpix12 Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes it's debit.

If I did that, wouldn't than mean I wouldn't be able to buy anything on that card until the new one is reissued?

I use this card almost daily and don't want that to happen if possible.. :) When Halifax issued me a new card a few years ago due to fraud, I couldn't use it at all, it took them 5 days to send out a new one. Also, I buy a lot of things on the internet and probably signed up for this... although I don't remember it.. So if I filed a dispute with the bank and it came back I did in fact sign up for it, I'd feel bad. All I want to do is find out what it is... Grrr!!!
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
  • skyrider007
    Options
    Unfortunately you won't be able to use your existing card after you've asked them to block it. Can you live on cash for five days? Take out a hundred quid in cash or something while you wait for your replacement card.
  • jimpix12
    Options
    Yeah I guess I could do that, seems like a pain though.

I was rather hoping someone would tell me of a way to cancel these payments from coming in; otherwise won't I have to set up new Direct Debits/Standing Orders for this account too?
  • skyrider007
    Options
    spunko2010 wrote: »
    Yeah I guess I could do that, seems like a pain though.

I was rather hoping someone would tell me of a way to cancel these payments from coming in; otherwise won't I have to set up new Direct Debits/Standing Orders for this account too?

You will need to contact the company that make the charge directly in order for them to stop charging your account.

By the way your debit card number is not the same as your bank account number. This means that even if you are getting a replacement card, your DDs and SOs would remain unaffected as they have nothing to do with the card.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Cancelling a debit card doesn't affect anything other than the card - ie your direct debits and standing orders don't change.
    There is NO way of stopping these payments if they are being taken as card payments and not DDs... Cancel the card ASAP and get a new one. Then contact the bank again and say the company has no record of your payments or custom and you suspect fraud... that should get them moving...
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • jimpix12
    Options
    Ok will do tonight when I get in. Typically how long will it take for a new card to arrive? 5 wdays?
  • ged1980
    ged1980 Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    spunko2010 wrote: »
    Ok will do tonight when I get in. Typically how long will it take for a new card to arrive? 5 wdays?

5 working days yes if you lucky mine took 14 working days
    If you dont like me remember its mind over matter, I dont mind and you dont matter ;)
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just in case it might give you a clue here is the link to CCNOW
    http://www.ccnow.com/
  • Essenchill
    Essenchill Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    Options
    Be aware it's a Bank Holiday weekend - allow more time for processing!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure