Recorded delivery not signed for

Options
I don't know that this is the right place for this but what happens when a postie does not get a signature for a recorded delivery. In fact does not even attempt to get a signature.:confused:
How can it be signed for when you track it if it isn't. (does that make sense?)

Comments

• Jvic28
    Jvic28 Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    Recorded delivery items should not be delivered without being signed for. They should be returned to the sorting office then returned to sender if not collected. Naughty! I'd definately complain! It can still be tracked but if it's delivered, and the person says it hasn't been received you've got no comeback really as you can't produce their signature.

x
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No 190
    17/05/08 - Total on DMP: £10025.70
    07/05/14 - Total on DMP: £1666.20 DFD: July 2017!!
    Baby Tomos born 5th June 2009 - 6lb 5oz :j
    Weight Loss Target - to lose 60.8lb by NYE 2015 - 37.6lb TO GO
  • alfiesmum
    alfiesmum Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Options
    I kept a track of items lately sent recorded. All have been received as I've received positive feedback for them, but when I put the recorded tracking number into royal mail track and trace, 11 of 31 parcels say not delivered yet. So the posties must be missing a fair few signatures at that rate. I just hope Paypal never ask me to prove delivery!! I have feedback for them , I know they've arrived, but I didn't get the proof of delivery I paid for. Shame.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I claim against every item I send via RM recorded delivery that does not have a signature confirming delivery.

In my view, no signature means it wasn't delivered (unless RM can prove otherwise)

I've only once had a problem with this approach where RM said they wrote to the intended recipient (as they sometimes do) to confirm the item was not received and as they did not obtain a response assumed it had been delivered.

When I told them I'd see them in court if they could not prove they actually delivered the item (rather than just assume they had) they paid up the day before I had told them the summons would otherwise be issued.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    I claim against every item I send via RM recorded delivery that does not have a signature confirming delivery.

In my view, no signature means it wasn't delivered (unless RM can prove otherwise)

I've only once had a problem with this approach where RM said they wrote to the intended recipient (as they sometimes do) to confirm the item was not received and as they did not obtain a response assumed it had been delivered.

When I told them I'd see them in court if they could not prove they actually delivered the item (rather than just assume they had) they paid up the day before I had told them the summons would otherwise be issued.

fyi threats of legal action against rm are moot.
    they are exempt
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    fyi threats of legal action against rm are moot.
    they are exempt
    Do you have a source for that?

Royal Mail is now a public limited company.

Whilst they do enjoy some 'crown exemption' I thought this was limited to things such criminal acts by their employees or parking of their vehicles in restricted areas. I'm not sure it covers breach of contract.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/43474-legal-action-against-royal.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/54404-royal-mail-claim-xxx.html
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    as far as im aware it covers legal action sucjh as your scenario
    rm vehicles have no exemptions on parking,they only get this if the local council allows it

edit: just ot add to your rd scenario,i had 3 rd items today that wouldnt scan
    even inputing the track manually failed to work
    now under rm's system theres no way for me to update that item to delivered
  • fastbargins
    fastbargins Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Did you know that recorded delivery actually offers you no more protection against loosing your mail than normal delivery? Mail sent recorded just ends up in the same mail system as all the other mail whereas special delivery items are seperated off and logged in and out of every mail office on their way to the destination. Your postie will very rarely chance nicking anything from a special delivery package where the recorded delivery system isn't checkable so if an item doesn't get delivered it could have been half inched at any point from the post office to the delivery office! Obviously the vast majority of posties are hard working (really hard working it's a terrible job) and law abiding, but there is always one in every office who has their mits in the honey jar.
  • toejumper
    toejumper Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I had a recorded parcel left on the back door step, hadn`t been signed for and was there all day anyone could of nicked it :mad:
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    as far as im aware it covers legal action sucjh as your scenario
    Did you look at the links I provided?

The second one shows that Royal Mails own legal team opted to pay out full compensation plus initial court costs rather than have the matter brought to court :confused:
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did you know that recorded delivery actually offers you no more protection against loosing your mail than normal delivery? Mail sent recorded just ends up in the same mail system as all the other mail whereas special delivery items are seperated off and logged in and out of every mail office on their way to the destination. Your postie will very rarely chance nicking anything from a special delivery package where the recorded delivery system isn't checkable so if an item doesn't get delivered it could have been half inched at any point from the post office to the delivery office! Obviously the vast majority of posties are hard working (really hard working it's a terrible job) and law abiding, but there is always one in every office who has their mits in the honey jar.

The difference with recorded delivery vs non recorded though is that it is a very brazen (or thick) buyer who claims not to have received an item if they have already signed for it ;)
    (and they would lose a paypal claim which they would otherwise win)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure