Money Moral Dilemma. Would you replace your mate's cricket bat?

Comments

• whizzocki
    whizzocki Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You offer to pay, he refuses to let you. That's why you're friends.

Simple pimple.
  • whizzocki wrote: »
    You offer to pay, he refuses to let you. That's why you're friends.

Simple pimple.

I agree. I would fess up to what happened and offer to pay but if he actually agreed then I would be a bit offended. He should be aware that it was really worn out so it would be a bit mean to sting me for the full cost of the bat.
    Self employed and loving it :D

Mummy to Natasha 25/09/08 :heart:
  • mancrob26
    mancrob26 Posts: 12 Forumite
    No.
    It should be expected that you replace items that have been damaged if you borrow them, but this hasn't been borrowed. You are all playing together. It could have gone on the owner as well as anyone else.
  • He's my mate, I broke it, of course I'd replace it.

Though I'd probably stand there looking at it in shock for a bit wondering how I was going to get the money together.

I wouldn't actually borrow an expensive bat from a friend, because I wouldn't want to risk breaking it and not being able to afford to pay for it. I would probably find a cheap second hand one to use, thereby also avoiding inconveniencing my friend just by using it.
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Would you replace your mate's cricket bat?

It’s a summer’s day, and you and a bunch of pals get together for some cricket in the park. You’re playing with your mate’s expensive willow cricket bat. When it’s your turn to bat, you swing it particularly vigorously, and the bat splits. On one hand, you wonder if you should replace it. Yet maybe the bat had had its day, and would have split whoever had been holding it? What would you do?
    yeh 'course and also learn the valuable lesson not to borrow or use of other people's belongings - if you don't have a bat don't play, specially that stupid game cricket :p
  • rjcb23
    rjcb23 Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't think I would be stumped if this happened to me. Assuming there's no catch, I would offer my mate a score to cover the costs; maybe an extra four or six quid to run it back to the shop (assuming that's not too wide of the mark).

If the boot was on the other foot, I don't think I would bat an eyelid. It's not like our friendship would be over.

There's a lot of spin attached to these sorts of situations but I think if the ball is in your court and you have ticked all the boxes, then all you have to do is be sensible and work it out amiable with you friend - I know this is true, I searched on https://www. googlie .comto be sure!! ;)

S: Dini? Ciai? Cificae?
    NS: Wiui? Iiwi? Cificae?

• meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    rjcb23 wrote: »
    I don't think I would be stumped if this happened to me. Assuming there's no catch, I would offer my mate a score to cover the costs; maybe an extra four or six quid to run it back to the shop (assuming that's not too wide of the mark).

If the boot was on the other foot, I don't think I would bat an eyelid. It's not like our friendship would be over.

There's a lot of spin attached to these sorts of situations but I think if the ball is in your court and you have ticked all the boxes, then all you have to do is be sensible and work it out amiable with you friend - I know this is true, I searched on www. googlie .comto be sure!! ;)
    you belong to a different league I see :D
  • CheapSkate_4
    CheapSkate_4 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Just offering to pay isn't enough. I'd go and do the annoying work of actually getting a replacement.

If I borrowed a friend's car and (while - ahem! - driving vigorously) somehow managed to damage it, of course I'd sort it out.

Sure, he might insist that it's not my problem, but maybe the compromise might be that he'd sort out getting the replacement, and I'd pay for it.
  • I would suggest that he asks for his money back from whoever sold it to him in the first place.
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If the mate brought an 'expensive willow bat' (we're talking £250 plus here for a decent bat) to a knockaround, then it shouldn't just 'split'.

I would offer to pay something towards it - if I'd been messing around with it or borrowed it without him knowing, then obviously I would replace it, but not if it was being shared equally through the group - daft of him to be showing off by bringing it along really!
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family