We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cheapest way to get satnav?

2»

Comments

  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Ideally it's best to leave the glovebox open to let potential thieves know there's nothing in there without smashing your window to find out.

    My car has a lock on the glovebox lid, would be easy to break open if it were locked but I leave it unlocked. Have to wonder if the obvious lock may have averted some thefts though. I doubt many cars have a lockable glovebox.
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,920 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I had one of my vans done in Nottingham Queens Medical centre multi story.. i had taken the tomtom out but left the sucker thing, all they did was open the glove box, they left my goretex jacket with wallet in the back.

    i have used a blackberry with a bluetooth reciever work okay, but you can't beat the tomtom.... i now have a blackberry with built in gps, but it's no where as easy to use as the tomtom, my cost 95 quid from amazon.

    GD
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    QQuaver wrote: »
    But they are expensive...:(

    Hardly. £120 or less gets you a Tomtom ONE. My box of A to Z's I had in the lorry which took 5 years building up which still didn't have anywhere near full UK coverage were going to cost me £550 four years ago to replace. Faced with that, I spent £450 on a PDA Satnav system.
  • QQuaver
    QQuaver Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    anewman wrote: »
    Ideally it's best to leave the glovebox open to let potential thieves know there's nothing in there without smashing your window to find out.
    I do that already after a window was smashed years ago:(

    There was nothing in the glove box except emergency window hammer/seat belt cutter (that was taken obviously, pretty handy for smashing windows):rolleyes:
  • Just my personal opinion but I woudn't go for a PDA or mobile based solution. I've had both and found them to me terribly hard to get on with (especially the mobile, N95) compared to even a basic dedicated satnav device.
    My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Regarding satnav theft, I have bought stickers for the driver and passenger windows which say 'Satnav Gone' from http://www.stokesayware.com/satnavgone.htm

    Money well spent, I hope. The 'rings' on the windscreen can never be completely erased and it seems better to admit you have one but that you take it out of the car. Leaving the glovebox open is also useful, to confirm that it's 'gone'.
  • QQuaver
    QQuaver Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Biggles wrote: »
    I have bought stickers for the driver and passenger windows which say 'Satnav Gone'
    Very clever :cool:
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I like the 9 points please pass stickers :D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.