We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cheapest way to get satnav?

QQuaver
QQuaver Posts: 8,444 Forumite
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
I'm looking for cheapest satnav(no money:p ). I see that I could just get bluetooth satnav and use my mobile (SonyEricsson Z610i) or PDA (Windows Mobile 5) with it.
But I need map software...

I found this, but it is very old (2005):o
http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=115446 £22.95

I am very new to this, would someone like me better stick to paper maps?:D
«1

Comments

  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Seems pretty good. Any Pocket PCcompatible device (most PDAs and some phones) shoudl run the software.

    Don't worry about it being a 2005 version. Seriously, how many roads do you know that have changed a lot since then? I use a 2001 map Cd in my car and it navigates me perfectly 95% of the time.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • kitchpoo
    kitchpoo Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    If you can find someone over 50 - you can get one for about £6!

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=388247
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

    There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    balsingh wrote: »
    Don't worry about it being a 2005 version. Seriously, how many roads do you know that have changed a lot since then?

    Shedloads. Lots of new housing estates, bypasses (although you can work those out) and road junction changes.

    Just to add, the choices for the Sony Ericsson are limited. You could get Tomtom if your phone ran Symbian OS, such as the Nokia N range. PDAs are fine but if you've not got a SD card slot you can stick a GPS receiver in, you're gonna have a mess of wires.

    I've tried all three methods (Nokia N70, iPaq 2210, Tomtom ONE) and the standalone dedicated wins every time.
  • QQuaver
    QQuaver Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    kitchpoo wrote: »
    If you can find someone over 50 - you can get one for about £6!

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=388247
    Ahem, I can't ask anyone for that...:o
  • QQuaver
    QQuaver Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Conor wrote: »
    Shedloads. Lots of new housing estates, bypasses (although you can work those out) and road junction changes.
    I know...
    Just to add, the choices for the Sony Ericsson are limited. You could get Tomtom if your phone ran Symbian OS, such as the Nokia N range. PDAs are fine but if you've not got a SD card slot you can stick a GPS receiver in, you're gonna have a mess of wires.
    I'll forget about the phone.
    I've tried all three methods (Nokia N70, iPaq 2210, Tomtom ONE) and the standalone dedicated wins every time.
    But they are expensive...:(
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    On the phone you could use Nav4All http://www.nav4all.co.uk/site2/www.nav4all.co.uk/enguk/index.php in conjunction with a cheap bluetooth gps which is currently free, although the routes it makes are poor in comparison with Tomtom run on my ipaq 2210. When I have some money spare I'll be buying a standalone tomtom personally.
    QQuaver wrote: »
    But they are expensive...:(
    There's an old saying, you get what you pay for.
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    OCOC-S-01.jpg

    +

    Brick.jpg

    Only joking, but it does amaze me how many people leave them stuck to the windscreen, car the other day satnav & road angel both sat fully on display :eek:
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Also need to be careful as the thieves look out for the tell-tale ring on the windscreen and expect them to be in the glovebox etc. Better a cloth to wipe it off with than a smashed window.
  • QQuaver
    QQuaver Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    anewman wrote: »
    On the phone you could use Nav4All http://www.nav4all.co.uk/site2/www.nav4all.co.uk/enguk/index.php in conjunction with a cheap bluetooth gps
    Thanks:cool:
    There's an old saying, you get what you pay for.
    :o
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I wouldn t leave it in the glove box if you can help it,
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.