🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Check Equifax Free Trials Don't Charge!

Options
Just a friendly warning - despite cancelling during the free trial period and receiving an email to advise it had been done, 30 days passed and I was charged £59.99 for the service.

I've spoken to them and was advised I will be getting a refund and that it was a computer/administrative error - but I recommend that people keep an eye on their card 30 days after joining the free trial and make sure you keep details of your cancellation - that fact that I could quote from my cancellation email made things alot easier!

:cool:

Comments

• creditcardking_2
    Options
    Just a friendly warning - despite cancelling during the free trial period and receiving an email to advise it had been done, 30 days passed and I was charged £59.99 for the service.

I've spoken to them and was advised I will be getting a refund and that it was a computer/administrative error - but I recommend that people keep an eye on their card 30 days after joining the free trial and make sure you keep details of your cancellation - that fact that I could quote from my cancellation email made things alot easier!

:cool:

I had exactly the same situation, but they refunded the money without any problems, I have since rejoined credit expert, I think it it well worth the £49.99 as I spend quite a bit of time overseas and this keeps my mind at rest knowing that my identity hasnt been stolen.
  • goldmercury
    Options
    barbarella surprisingly if you phone them and ask to cancel they will cancel, amazing!

my free trial ran out on a Saturday there were closed so I emailed to cancel, phoned up on Monday and said that I sent an email which they accepted as cancellation
    :money: IT Geek & Martin Wannabee :money:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm probably being really stupid, but I can't see any explanation on how you cancel this? I ordered an Equifax 30 day trial thing, but how do I cancel it?! Help! I can't afford £60.....
    From the T&C's (just above the tick box that says "I accept these terms and conditions")...

"On the last day of your subscription, we will charge your credit card for the then-current price of the Subscription Product and it will be renewed unless you cancel within a thirty (30) day period by notifying us. You may notify us by first logging in to the MyEquifax Member Centre. Once logged in, click on the "Contact Us" button and you can contact the Equifax Customer Care team at the telephone number or email address listed on that page."
  • kat9848
    Options
    I found a link on this website to a free 30 day trial with Credit Expert. I duly signed up and waited for the letter with my pin to arrive. I signed in and viewed my report and my national credit score. I then phoned them and cancelled the membership immediately so when I checked my bank online this morning and saw that Credit expert had debited £4.99 from my account, I was confused.

I called them and asked them why and they said that they charge for their National credit score service. They assured me that I would have had to tick a box confirming that I was happy to pay £4.99 for the extra service, but I don’t remember at all. I am very canny and I am sure that I would have double checked and made sure that I wasn’t being charged for anything so it was a very unpleasant shock. There probably was a box somewhere, but it must have been ticked already because if the page had stalled and asked me tick a box confirming I was going to be charged £4.99, there is NO way I would have done it.

The girl on the end of the phone admitted that she receives lots of calls like mine and that led me to believe that they must be quite underhand in the way that they go about charging £4.99. I feel I ought to let people know that these people are not in the business of offering a free trial, but rather trying to get £4.99 out of you.
  • Arch-Angel
    Arch-Angel Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    kat9848 wrote:
    I found a link on this website to a free 30 day trial with Credit Expert. I duly signed up and waited for the letter with my pin to arrive. I signed in and viewed my report and my national credit score. I then phoned them and cancelled the membership immediately so when I checked my bank online this morning and saw that Credit expert had debited £4.99 from my account, I was confused.

I called them and asked them why and they said that they charge for their National credit score service. They assured me that I would have had to tick a box confirming that I was happy to pay £4.99 for the extra service, but I don’t remember at all. I am very canny and I am sure that I would have double checked and made sure that I wasn’t being charged for anything so it was a very unpleasant shock. There probably was a box somewhere, but it must have been ticked already because if the page had stalled and asked me tick a box confirming I was going to be charged £4.99, there is NO way I would have done it.

The girl on the end of the phone admitted that she receives lots of calls like mine and that led me to believe that they must be quite underhand in the way that they go about charging £4.99. I feel I ought to let people know that these people are not in the business of offering a free trial, but rather trying to get £4.99 out of you.

There is a tick box if you order the credit score to confirm that you want to pay £4.99. It's down at the bottom of the page and next to the "Proceed" button - you would have had to "tick" the box before you could proceed.

I used it (the credit score facility) in January - granted it may have changed since then. However, if you use the service, without getting the credit score, you will only be charged the normal monthly fee (£5.99 per month if I recall)
    Never attach your ego to your position....
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    I have used it several times and never had any issues with it :)
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    On a seperate note, has anyone had trouble getting into the equifax website over the last week or 2?
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kat9848 wrote:
    I feel I ought to let people know that these people are not in the business of offering a free trial, but rather trying to get £4.99 out of you.

I've just got to the end of the application process for their free trial and have discovered this too. It won't let you proceed without ticking the box. Yet it doesn't actually say you will be charged anything, it simply states you're giving permission for them to obtain your report. Very misleading. I didn't proceed with the application. :mad:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sponge wrote:
    I've just got to the end of the application process for their free trial and have discovered this too. It won't let you proceed without ticking the box. Yet it doesn't actually say you will be charged anything, it simply states you're giving permission for them to obtain your report. Very misleading. I didn't proceed with the application. :mad:
    'Report' and 'Score' are two seperate items.

The report is free, but you have to give them permission to get it.

The score is chargeable, and you only pay if you want to [strike]waste your money[/strike] see what it is.
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Confused now. kat9848 says he/she got unwittingly charged £4.99. Arch Angel says there's a tick box at the bottom of the page next to proceed. So when I saw this tickbox, next to a proceed button, at the end of my application, I considered it to be what has been discussed. Is this wrong? If so, I can go back and complete it. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport