Received first water statement...

Options
I've just received my first water bill/statement, and I was hoping that somebody could just clarify it for me? (I've never paid for water before, as in my old falt it was included in the rent)

I moved into the property on 01/05/2008, and that afternoon I filled in the form on the Yorkshire Water website to let them know I'd moved in etc. Yesterday I received a form to fill in to pay by DD, and to ask which installment method I preferred, and today I received a bill for the following.

New bill for period:

30/04/08 to 31/03/09

Minimum water charge (£64.44)
Surface drainage and sewerage standing charge (35.78)
Sewerage (rateable value £30) (Rate in £(p) 114.300) (Charge £31.57)

Total amount due - £131.79

1st Payment £60.19 Due Now
2nd payment £71.60 Due by 1st October 2008

Am I correct in my understanding that I am paying water based on rateable value, and that this £131.79 is the total payable for the year? There was also another DD form in the envelope, allowing me to select

1 annaul payment
2 payments per year
8 monthly payments
10 monthly payments
Fortnightly payments

If I'm correct, I will only be paying £13.18 per month for 10 months? It seems a lot less than I was expecting...I was thinking about having a meter fitted, however these charges seem very reasonable for such an essential service.

Comments

• mute_posting
    mute_posting Posts: 810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like it!

Also that sounds very cheap like you say - probably not worth getting a meter with that RV!
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • marc.faulkner
    marc.faulkner Posts: 639 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like it!

Also that sounds very cheap like you say - probably not worth getting a meter with that RV!

Brilliant, just what I wanted to hear. :D As you say, I doubt it's worth the hassle of having a meter fitted when it's costing me so little anyway.

Thanks.
  • hulltrucker
    hulltrucker Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Marc yes you are on rateable value, but your bill is for 11 months and not 12 (from end April 2008 to end March 2009) - pro rata that makes your annual bill about £145, which is about what I pay YW for water via my meter - if there is more than one of you in the flat dont even think abou changing to a meter cos it will cost you!
  • marc.faulkner
    marc.faulkner Posts: 639 Forumite
    Options
    Marc yes you are on rateable value, but your bill is for 11 months and not 12 (from end April 2008 to end March 2009) - pro rata that makes your annual bill about £145, which is about what I pay YW for water via my meter - if there is more than one of you in the flat dont even think abou changing to a meter cos it will cost you!

Thanks. :)

There's just me, but in a 2 bedroom house with garden which I will water. I also prefer a bath to a shower, so reckon I'll be better off staying on RV.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    A rateable value of £30 is extremely low.

It is just possible that you might not be liable for the surface water drainage charge - if your surface water goes into a soakaway.

By the way as you are new in the property, Yorkshire water can insisist that you go on a meter and you will have no option to refuse - so don't count your chickens yet!!

Under the water privatisation bill, all new occupants can be forced to go on a meter. Now some Water companies insist on enforcing that regulation(loads of posts on this) and others don't seem to bother.

Hopefully your property will fall into the latter category, but don't be surprised if you get a letter telling you they are going to fit a meter.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    And make sure you have mains sewerage. If you have a biodisc or septic tank you wouldn't have to pay that part of the charge either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure