We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Yellow line puzzle

2

Comments

  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    It's not a very clear sign - how do you 'wait' ? do you have to be in the car to be 'waiting' for two hours?

    Whatever the proper interpretation I would say you've got a good case to fight it - surely double yellow lines mean 'no parking/waiting' and the sign should state the same?
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    faddy wrote: »
    The penalty notice says the car was observed for about 5 minutes.

    Some doubt is now creeping into my mind as to what the sign means. Could it be the Mon-Sat 7am-7pm is the "no waiting" times, and the 2 hour restriction applies at other times?

    Well someone is telling porkies :D

    I read it the way you have been reading it, the restrictions are during the day, it is unusual for that type of restriction to apply overnight.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition


  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    frugallass wrote: »

    Whatever the proper interpretation I would say you've got a good case to fight it - surely double yellow lines mean 'no parking/waiting' and the sign should state the same?

    Signage can qualify the restrictions,there is no requirement for double yellow lines to have the addition of a sign stating "no waiting at any time", they are just that unless a sign says different. Yellow lines

    Blackpool have double yellow lines down the prom, but they have restriction plates for "no waiting" during the Summer season,(or they used to), can't remember the dates but something like "no waiting April-September" outside of those dates there is/was no restriction.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition


  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Double yellow lines means no parking. At any time.
    You are, generally, allowed to "wait" on double yellow lines (that's the difference between that and a red route [double red lines] where you cannot ever wait).
    So on double yellow lines you are allowed to stop, drop someone off, etc.
    On this particular road you may still do that, but only for a maximum of 2 hours.

    You parked. They observed your car for 5 minutes to confirm that you were parked and not waiting. You weren't there during that 5 minutes and so were (correctly) deemed to be parked.


    That said, I know how annoying it is when signs and markings aren't clear.
    I've only been to Liverpool once (May Day bank holiday weekend, as it happens, three years ago en route to honeymoon) and got a parking ticket. Was parked on a single yellow line on a Sunday. Other cars were parked there, too. Couldn't see a sign so assumed a Sunday was ok. Apparently it wasn't! I was wrong to assume.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Double yellow lines means no parking. At any time.

    Wrong, as I have mentioned above #14; - Yellow lines

    What’s the difference between single and double yellow lines?
    • A double yellow line means no waiting at any time. It might only apply for certain months
    • A single yellow line means that there is no waiting at certain times shown on the nearby sign
    Do yellow lines always need a sign?

    Not any more. Since January 2003 signs aren’t needed for double yellow lines unless it is a seasonal restriction.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition


  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Double yellow lines means no parking. At any time.
    You are, generally, allowed to "wait" on double yellow lines (that's the difference between that and a red route [double red lines] where you cannot ever wait).
    So on double yellow lines you are allowed to stop, drop someone off, etc.
    On this particular road you may still do that, but only for a maximum of 2 hours.

    You parked. They observed your car for 5 minutes to confirm that you were parked and not waiting. You weren't there during that 5 minutes and so were (correctly) deemed to be parked.


    That said, I know how annoying it is when signs and markings aren't clear.
    I've only been to Liverpool once (May Day bank holiday weekend, as it happens, three years ago en route to honeymoon) and got a parking ticket. Was parked on a single yellow line on a Sunday. Other cars were parked there, too. Couldn't see a sign so assumed a Sunday was ok. Apparently it wasn't! I was wrong to assume.

    I see the logic of this but why would anyone want to 'wait' for up to two hours?
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    derrick wrote: »
    Wrong, as I have mentioned above #14; - Yellow lines
    Yes, I've just read your link and was coming back to say the same thing.

    From your link it looks like "waiting" and "parking" are the same.


    I'd query what the sign means with the council, or whoever it was gave you the ticket.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    I see the logic of this
    So did I, but as has been pointed out the logic is wrong. Sorry.
    but why would anyone want to 'wait' for up to two hours?
    My thinking was because it was outside "Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral" and if parking in the area was a nightmare you might want to wait while your friend went and looked around the cathedral.
    But as I say this isn't what it meant, so no explanation is needed.
  • Vampgirl
    Vampgirl Posts: 622 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    You might get some expert help from here: http://forums.pepipoo.com
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Yes, I've just read your link and was coming back to say the same thing.

    From your link it looks like "waiting" and "parking" are the same.


    I'd query what the sign means with the council, or whoever it was gave you the ticket.

    Just spoken to Liverpool City Council. Parking Enforcement said "waiting" means "loading". Highways (who erect the signs) said "waiting" means "parking" and my interpretation of the sign is correct and I should appeal (which I already have). They also said it sounds as though it shouldn't have a double yellow line and they'll take a look!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.