Windscreen - Cricket ball

Options
Gorgeous_George
Gorgeous_George Posts: 7,964 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi

Mrs GG's car has been hit by a cricket ball as she passed a local school.

The teacher in charge refused to give her his name and claimed it was an act of God :rotfl:

Insurance-wise, there is an excess of £75. I do not see why we should claim off her insurance - never mind the excess.

Anybody had a similar problem? How did you get on? Small claims court perhaps?

GG
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Write to the school and the Education Authority, I'm sure the school/council will have third party cover for such eventualities.

Mention the teacher's attitude, too, they can do without idiots like that on their staff!
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    Just found out that the school secretary is my ex-bosses wife! What's the chance of that? I'm confident it will be resolved properly.

A new windscreen is £507 and, like I say, the excess is £75.

We'll pay the £75 to have it fixed then claim it back off the school. Tesco insurance will be pleased - only been with them a few weeks.

A different attitude from staff members makes a lot of difference.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    GG have you tried claiming the actual cost, i.e. without getting the insurers involved? I don't know whether windscreen claims lead to a rise in premium but I'm pretty sure you'll need to declare it when you renew next year.
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The teacher in charge refused to give her his name and claimed it was an act of God
    This was an act of a child who was not property taught by his teacher in school.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »
    This was an act of a child who were not property taught by his teacher in school.
    Who says? The child may have aimed for the car. Then it was a fairly good shot to hit a moving car.
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    I haven't tried anything yet. When the windscreen is replaced I have to decide whether to pay £75 or £507.

Probably go down the £75 route. Tesco can afford it.

:)

GG
  • ryanharrison83
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »
    This was an act of a child who was not property taught by his teacher in school.

not sure if you know the rules of cricket, but to slog the ball out of the school grounds is actually a very well taught child who has a promising career as a cricketer!!

Well that is assuming Mrs GG wasnt driving through the school field at the time. That would be silly! :-)

Serious note, A letter to the school with a bill should suffice.
  • amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We had a sort of similar thing happen about 5 years ago...council workers were using strimmers to cut grass on a roundabout on a busy dual carriageway, when one of the strimmers hit a stone and sent it flying, resulting in the drivers window of our car being smashed. (that and almost heart failure as it sounded like a gunshot!!)
    We did it through the insurance, then claimed the excess back from the contractor without any problems. Good luck!
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Crabman wrote: »
    GG have you tried claiming the actual cost, i.e. without getting the insurers involved? I don't know whether windscreen claims lead to a rise in premium but I'm pretty sure you'll need to declare it when you renew next year.

Glass/windscreen claims don't affect no claims bonuses for 99% of insurers.
    The man without a signature.
  • DazedByTheLight
    Options
    amandada wrote: »
    We did it through the insurance, then claimed the excess back from the contractor without any problems. Good luck!

Surely that would also affect your no claims bonus though? I would avoid insurance claims for anything other than third party fault as the long-term increase in insurance premiums due to a reduction in no-claims bonuses is also a factor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure