Cigarette Allowance from Turkey?

Options
Hello

I'm off to Turkey next week and would like to know how many cigarettes i'm allowed to bring back into the UK?

I've read various sites but they all seem to differ about whether they are EU or not!

Could someone just tell me a straight answer it would be most helpful!

Thanks
:wave:

Comments

• sloppychops
    sloppychops Posts: 6,742 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Turkey is NOT a member of the EU and your ciggie allowance is only 200 per person.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029391791
    "Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
  • creditcardking_2
    Options
    I would not recommend bringing more than your allowance of 200 from turkey, the customs may check your bags as you are entering the airport. I have heard that it is very serious if you get caught.
  • creditcardking_2
    Options
    I would not recommend bringing more than your allowance of 200 from turkey, the customs may check your bags as you are entering the airport. I have heard that it is very serious if you get caught.
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I completely agree with not bringing back more of your allowance. Should go to Greece instead - you can bring back as many as you like! You are only allowed 200 from non-EU countries (incl. Turkey) though saying that when we flew back into M'cr, Customs desk was empty (even for non EU flights) and it just had a red telephone and a sign saying if you want to declare anything please use this phone. Unbelievable!

Same thing at Leeds-Bradford last time I flew back in from Amsterdam.

Seriously though. don't do it. I dunno what the penalty is; possibly just confiscation if they don't think you're going to sell them but I don't know. Best not taking the risk, eh?
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • elvis_bloggs
    elvis_bloggs Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    RichyRich wrote:
    Seriously though. don't do it. I dunno what the penalty is; possibly just confiscation if they don't think you're going to sell them but I don't know. Best not taking the risk, eh?

What a bummer.!! 1-ac6.gif
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry guys but I don't agree, (Democracy and all that!), I travel to Northern Cyprus 3-4 times a year, a carton of 200 costs on average 20 Lira (£8-£10), personally I bring back btwn 4-6 cartons per trip,the customs area is normally empty,I have been stopped before,they have a job to do, be honest with them,mine were all the same brand and I could honestly say they were for personal use, the risk is confiscation.
  • 777combat
    Options
    I brought 400 back from Turkey. Being a bit naive, I genuinely thought I could buy 200 this end, and another 200 in Turkey. The customs officer explained that this is against the rules, and then let me keep them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure