Aktiv Kapital (UK) - Who Are They?

Options

Comments

• sambuca696
    Options
    I had a letter from Thames Credit chasing a large debt on behalf of Aktiv Kapital who bought the debt from a 3rd party. I wrote to Aktiv not acknowledging the debt with a copy to Thames. Thames have written back, they have traced my name through a public database and now want me to ring them so they can establish ownership of the account. Do I have to ring them (or Aktiv Kapital)?

I had a lot of bad debts following a relationship breakdown years ago, went to an advice agency and honestly thought everyone was being paid. I have dug all the CCJ's and arrangement letters and checked direct debits/standing orders out and haven't kept all the original paperwork, and debts have been sold on ad infinitum, so now not sure if debt is mine or not. As my last CCJ is due to drop off the system shortly, I am hoping this is just a mistake.
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sambuca

Im in a similar situation to you and no expert so until you get better advise I can tell you this much . You don`t ring anyone, all communication should be by recorded letter .
    You should send them one of 2 letters but Im not sure which one , the one saying that you wish to see an original true copy of the consumer credit agreement and statement of account or if the debt is over 6 years old a letter staing that the debt is statute barred . I would go to https://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk and seek advise there or wait for someone more knowledgable than me to clarify things.
    Welcome to the site and remember the onus is on them to prove you guilty .
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • Donedoingdebt
    Options
    Hi All,

I have a situation I wanted some advice on. 4 Years ago I recieved a letter from Aktiv Kapital in regards to an outstanding balance from Comet (Time Retail Finance) due to unemployment. As the outstanding amout was valid I duly paid Aktiv Kapital, But before they had even written to me requesting the money they had registered a default against me.

I have never recieved a default notice from Either Time Retail Finance or Aktiv Kapital (the default on my account is shown as being Registed by AK not TRF).

I was going to write to AK to see if they would remove it as the proper protocol was not followed (and its paid so it makes no difference to them) I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a similar situation?

If I can get this removed I will have a virtually unblemished record!

Thanks in advance!
    I have recently had the same problem with AK. Like yourself, the original debt was with Comet (Time Retail Finance.) TRF originally put a default on my file dated May 2000 which was correct. They then passed the debt onto Robinson Way & co. I arranged a DMP with these in May 2000 & stuck to the plan without missing or being late with any payment. However, for some reason the debt was passed to Aktiv Kapital in December 2002. I was duly informed of the change but was told to carry on paying the same monthly payment as before which I did until the debt was settled in 2003. Upon viewing my Experian credit report about 3 months ago I found there was a nice big default issued by AK in December 2002 without any notice to myself. When I rang & questioned AK about this, their reply was that whenever they take over a new account they automatically issue a new default from that date. To rectify the problem, I sent copies of all relevant documents from Time Retail Finance, Robinson Way & co & AK themselves showing regular payments & the final letter of confirmation that the account was settled in full to both AK & Experian. Experian then contacted AK & asked them to sort the matter out. The end result being that I recently received confirmation from AK that the default dated December 2002 had now been removed. Given the speed in which they acted, it's my guess that AK knew they were on dodgy ground given that they issued their default without any notice to myself.
    Donedoingdebt Lightbulb moment January 2000. Debt at highest approx £102,000. Debt now (October 2009 - absolutely fork all!!!):beer:
    CSA case closed on 02/09/10 :beer::beer:
  • sandanista
    Options
    Harassed wrote:
    Wescot are trying it on. But the response has to come from the creditor, Aktiv Kapital. They have 12 days to supply, if they don't supply within 30 days - they commit a criminal offence.

This is a direct quote from Halsbury's Laws of England, and gives the time scales (and the remedies if not complied with.)

If they don't supply report them to your local Trading Standards office.

Could you state citation of this? i.e. the name of the act, what year and what section? Thank you
    I've lost over 100lbs in two years, I can be debt free too.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    sandanista wrote:
    Could you state citation of this? i.e. the name of the act, what year and what section? Thank you

I would like to know this too.

Thanks

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • ratttyo
    ratttyo Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    If you make contact on the telephone enquiring about the debt is that an aknowledgment? does it have to be a written response or make a payment towardds s it?
  • rich36
    Options
    Hi I have recieved a letter from Debt managers Ltd acting on behalf of AKTIV KAPITAL- BARCLAYS BANK. I did have an account with Barclays and proberably owe them the money but this was back at the end of 1999.

I am wondering if I should wait and see if they contact me again?

Write and ask for more information using the non commital letter mentioned earlier in this thread? OR

Write explaining the debt is over six years old?

If anyone can offer any advise it would be helpful.

Regards Rich
  • sharonpoole
    Options
    Crippler wrote:
    It took about a 1 to 2 weeks to get the response back from the agency that was dealing with mine.

I am not sure what the legal response time is, I would say it is most likely 30 days.

well its been a month and i haven't heard a thing from them :confused: hopefully i never will again !:rolleyes:
  • rich36
    rich36 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ok I have received a second letter from Debt Managers Ltd in regards too the debt they claim I owe AKTIV KAPITAL- Barclays. I have decided to send the standard letter asking for more info (Thanks to the forum for this info).

But should I send it too Debt Managers Ltd or Aktiv Kapital or both?
  • my_gorgeous_ellie-belle
    Options
    With regards to both Aktiv and Wescot all of your communication should be done via recorded post where possible. They are bullies over the telephone!!!

My OH has debts with both of these companies and they have contacted numerous times and bullied him into agreeing to pay alot more than he can afford (via telephone). Now my OH has a bad stutter and hates talking on the telephone - they take advantage of the fact that he is vulnerable in this way and have beaten him down by interupting him when he talks, no patience with him and his stutter etc.

In the end i told him to give permission for me to speak on his behalf, so he did, and i gave them a right telling off and an earful baout how downright rude they were being. I then 'with my jargon, mostly from advice from this website' made it very clear that my OH could only afford a certain amount per month and if they weren't willing to accept this then bring on the court case - done! They accepted! They know that if it goes to court and you have offered a decent amount (that you can afford) the judge will rule in you favour. The agent knew that i knew what i was talking about and that there was no way i was going to accept him bullying me!

The cheeky sod did try to tell me to pay OH's debt at first, i basically told him to f#@k off but obviously not with that vulger language.

This is why if you have any worry or are scared of them make sure you put everything in writting! Its good for proof if things progress to court...also keep a notebook/diary detailing who you spoke to, what was said, and the exact time if you do happen to make phone calls - they have a habbit of denying you have said things until you quote them this info and tell them to double check.

Be on the ball with them!!!!
    Mummy of 3 lovely munchkins :smileyhea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family