Laws for tenants? Regarding deposits and council tax

2»

Replies

• RabbitMadRabbitMad Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    rachell, If I was you I wouldn't pay the last 6 weeks rent (or what ever it is to cover the deposit).

If the flat doesn't exist as it has been converted without planning permission report this to the council or threaten too if she gets @rsey about the rent.

when did you move in? was it after 5th April last year? If so is your deposit protected.

I don't think the agent can really charge you £25 per letter for chasing up missing rent (even if they do charge you and you refuse to pay what are they going to do?) and they can't charge you for cleaning the flat if you leave it in the condition you received it in.
  • Hey sorry just was hoping to find out if I would be charged for all the time I was in this house or just from now on?

James
  • mlz1413mlz1413 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    you should pay council tax from when you move in.

But if you haven't registered yet then guess it will be from when you register!
  • zebulonzebulon Forumite
    677 Posts
    Lofty_Jim wrote: »
    the other is working in England from France so he is exepempt from council tax too.

what??!!!??
    where did you get this from? did HE told you that??

or maybe i did not understand what you mean :confused:
  • chapperschappers Forumite
    3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly my other flatmates are quite tight with money so I guess I'm gonna have to pay it all! At least I'll have a discount.
    the perils of living with people in different circumstances to yourself.
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lofty - If it is a house of multiple occupancy then no the LL pays Council tax. I have gleened that a HMO is when each tenant / family group has an individual AST. If you all share an AST then council tax is owed by the occupants.

IMHO I think it is irrelevant what the individuals situation is council tax is the responsibilty of all occupants (jointly and severally?) therefore you should only be responsible for your share but if the others refused to pay up the council could come after you for the lot.

Also I agree zebulon the froggy is not exempt from council tax.
  • Lofty_JimLofty_Jim Forumite
    8 Posts
    zebulon wrote: »
    what??!!!??
    where did you get this from? did HE told you that??

or maybe i did not understand what you mean :confused:

To be fair what I wrote was in bad English, sorry. As far as I'm aware he's a French student, working in the UK for experience. My understanding is that he is exempt and the landlord seems to think so too. If he's not then we won't get our discount and that will mean he has to pay half of it.

Thanks RabbitMad. In my place there are three tenants. 1 has his own AST and the other two are (i.e. me and the Frenchy) are on another one. Bit of a mish mash I know, but do you think that counts as an HMO?
  • zebulonzebulon Forumite
    677 Posts
    To be fair what I wrote was in bad English, sorry. As far as I'm aware he's a French student, working in the UK for experience. My understanding is that he is exempt and the landlord seems to think so too. If he's not then we won't get our discount and that will mean he has to pay half of it.

be carefull there... I can't say for sure how it works, but you better check this out (with council I suppose).
    In any case he would have to give them all relevant paperworks to show that he's a FULL TIME student in France. etc.

Just make sure really... this could be fishy (or not, he might be on a work placement -often unpaid- required by his study)
    Thanks RabbitMad. In my place there are three tenants. 1 has his own AST and the other two are (i.e. me and the Frenchy) are on another one. Bit of a mish mash I know, but do you think that counts as an HMO?

For a start you might want to check with council for a start if it is registered as HMO.

Edit: for example: http://www.southampton.gov.uk/Images/students_tcm46-159858.pdf
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know enough about hmos.

Frenchy would be entitled to a discount if he has documentation to say he is a student that the local council accept.
  • Lofty_JimLofty_Jim Forumite
    8 Posts
    Well I just phone the council tax hotline and the lady on the other end of the phone suggests that the LL will be libel for the tax, which is a relief.

On an interesting note the lady also told me that the house has been registered empty for the last 7 years which is very much un-true. Looks like they may be heading for a bit of trouble!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides