Laws for tenants? Regarding deposits and council tax

Hi all,

I need some help with knowing the law as a tenant.

I have heard that your landlord has to pay interest on your deposit due to some legal terminology. Is this true?

Secondly I read on one of the posts that landlords are responsible for paying council tax not the tenants.

I hope I can get some answers to these (hopefully ones that save me the most money!)

Warm regards,

James

Replies

• ImpImp Forumite
    1K Posts
    No

No, unless you live in a House of Multiple Occupancy
  • Thanks for the reply.

I am in a house of multiple occupancy. I live with two other people. One is a student and the other is working in England from France so he is exepempt from council tax too. Is this the right kind of situation I need to be in for my landlord to be liable then?

Regards

James
  • mlz1413mlz1413 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lofty Jim I think you need to get your agreement out and read it through.

Most AST's say interest is not payable on the deposit, so you need to check the wording on yours.

Most AST's say that the tenant is responsible for payment of bills so again you need to check the wording on your contract.
  • melanchollymelancholly Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    unless stated otherwise in your contract, i think you will be liable for council tax. however as you are the only person liable for it, you should still be able to get a single person's discount.
    :happyhear
  • Thanks for the help. I thought I would have to pay.

My landlord only contacted me at the begining of this month with regards to getting the other peoples student numbers to forward onto the council. When I do pay my council tax bill will I have to pay back pay for the time I have been in the house or will it be month by month starting from around nowish?
  • ImpImp Forumite
    1K Posts
    It is a House of Multiple Occupancy if there is more than one household in the house. For a start, are you and the other tenants on the same contract and are jointly and severally liable for abiding by the contract?
  • chapperschappers Forumite
    3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As the other two people in the house are non countable for council tax the burden will fall solely upon yourself, as has been said you will get a 255 discount as the sole countable person in the house.
    How do you feel about paying all the council tax yourself when it is one of the household bills.Maybe see if you can appeal to their conciences and get them to contribute in some way.
  • Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me? Basically my partner and I are renting a property through an estate agent and as the landlady doesn't want to pay them to run the property we have to deal with her.

She is a complete nightmare as she hardly ever replies to our text messages or answers her phone. We had agreed with the estate agent that the property would be furnished but when we moved in there were just a matress on the floor. It took her three days to set up the bed frame. We waited months for the rest of the furniture to appear. It also took forever for her to have the heating fixed (it sounded like someone was hitting with a hammer) and have the blinds put up.

Now we have a mouse, the garden is a mess, the security light outside the property isn't working as she never replies. She again didn't want to waste money on the estate agent carrying out an inventory so we don't have one! We have tried to set up the council tax but they have said the address doesn't exist on there system. She has basically converted a victorian house into three flats and it does seem she has registered it! Please can anyone help? Do you think we are in our right to withheld the last 6 weeks rent?? or can she take us to court? I just feel like she is going to rinse us for every penny. The only worrying thing is that in our contract with the estate agent it says we have to pay 25 pounds for every letter they send out for late rent payments and that we have to pay for the flat to be cleaned even though it was really dusty when we moved in. If I call the estate agent they say we have to take it up with her but she never answers her phone!!! Please please help. Thanks
  • chappers wrote: »
    As the other two people in the house are non countable for council tax the burden will fall solely upon yourself, as has been said you will get a 255 discount as the sole countable person in the house.
    How do you feel about paying all the council tax yourself when it is one of the household bills.Maybe see if you can appeal to their conciences and get them to contribute in some way.

Sadly my other flatmates are quite tight with money so I guess I'm gonna have to pay it all! At least I'll have a discount.
  • mlz1413mlz1413 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    To Rachell - you have a lot of stuff there! a quick overview, no inventory means she and you have no agreement about how the property was taken over ie if it was clean and furnished or dirty and unfurnished.

Secondly if you know she doesn't answer her phone stop calling and start putting everything in writing, I would probably copy a letter to Letting Agent just to cover your backs.

If you have any gas in the house you should have a gas safety certificate that is in date. If you don't have a copy of one you need to get one LL is breaking the law if they haven't had safety check carried out.

If you have a mouse you need to sort that out and quickly as they breed - well like mice!

If the garden is a mess why haven't you looked after it? surely you don't expect LL to come over and mow and weed do you?

If you know you don't want to stay and your contract is coming to an end get everything sorted out now. LA must give you LL address whilst you are renting AND they LL must advise which deposit protection scheme is being used whilst you live there - get going now!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide