Nationwide Card Reader Incompetence

Options
2»

Comments

• lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    Does this mean you have to use the card reader for every transaction you make online? I've not received mine yet but I do internet banking with Nationwide. I thought that it was to be used just when you bought something online........aaaaaarrggghhhhhh!
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• hev_2
    hev_2 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    Does this mean you have to use the card reader for every transaction you make online? I've not received mine yet but I do internet banking with Nationwide. I thought that it was to be used just when you bought something online........aaaaaarrggghhhhhh!

Hasn't asked me for the card reader for other transactions.

I use (non-Nationwide) credit cards for most of my online shopping because I believe that they give better protection than a debit card, and I can then pay the money onto my credit card via online banking (which is where the PITA card reader came in!).

Does anyone know - is it actually going to reduce fraud and are other financial bods going to bring them in?
    Always another chapter

• mustrum_ridcully
    mustrum_ridcully Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    Options
    lilac_lady wrote: »

Nope it's not for online purchases, only some internet banking transactions. In fact only Internet bankers will get the card reader.

The only time I've had to use it is when I was putting money in one of my non Nationwide accounts, transfers between my Nationwide accounts seemed ok.

As far as I can tell it'll only be asked for if there's a potential for fraud, so simple things like viewing a statement will be fine.
    "One thing that is different, and has changed here, is the self-absorption, not just greed. Everybody is in a hurry now and there is a 'the rules don't apply to me' sort of thing." - Bill Bryson
  • Nicerella
    Nicerella Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Do these card readers mean I'll no longer be able to see all my accounts on the one screen?
  • kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you will be able to see all your accounts. Assuming it works the same as Barclays, you put the card in, log on via your member no then you get to the card reader page which you enter last four digits on card and the code. You then have normal access. You also need to use it when setting up a new bill payment.

Easy to use, just a pain when I sit down and realise my bag is in the other room
    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport