Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Nationwide Card Reader Incompetence

Anyone had to use of those new security card readers yet ?
If so and it worked lucky you, just pray it stays that way.
Mine doesn't work, i tried it from 4 different PC's in 2 locations with 2 different browsers. Explained this to the muppets at the internet banking site after being on hold for 40 mins and 30 mins respectively only to be told to look at the FAQ pages as the system was working ok. Thank you but that doesn't help me.
Where do we get these morons from exactly ?
I shall be taking the thing into my local branch for a replacement and if that doesn't work then i guess i will vote with my feet and move my account to an organisation that understands the meaning of customer care.
ok rant over.....

Replies

• moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Didn't think they were meant to be used yet ?
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Had one for weeks, but dont need it yet. its not yet activated on my a/c
  • roddydogs wrote: »
    Had one for weeks, but dont need it yet. its not yet activated on my a/c

Yeah i have to use this now. Its a right pain. Clever though!:j
  • alanobrienalanobrien Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Didn't think they were meant to be used yet ?

Only if your lucky........
  • libra10libra10 Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've just received one of these card readers from Nationwide. It hasn't to be used yet but I'm slightly confused. I have two flex accounts with Nationwide, 1 joint account with OH and a separate personal account for myself. There were no details on the covering letter which account the card reader is to be used with. and none has been sent for OH.

Will the card reader be capable of being used for both accounts and can OH use it?

Any information appreciated.
  • alanobrienalanobrien Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    libra10 wrote: »
    I've just received one of these card readers from Nationwide. It hasn't to be used yet but I'm slightly confused. I have two flex accounts with Nationwide, 1 joint account with OH and a separate personal account for myself. There were no details on the covering letter which account the card reader is to be used with. and none has been sent for OH.

Will the card reader be capable of being used for both accounts and can OH use it?

Any information appreciated.

Yes on all counts. In fact other banks card readers can also be used with your account according to the blurb......when they work of course :mad:
  • hev_2hev_2 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Mine demanded that I use the card reader for a payment made while online banking. I found it a complete PITA but it worked okay, and I'm quite technophobe.

Hope it reduces fraud, but I am not entirely convinced.
    Always another chapter

• roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    surely all it can do is make you enter you enter your pin, to get a code no to access your a/c? the code no will be the same every time, surely?
  • hev_2hev_2 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    roddydogs wrote: »
    surely all it can do is make you enter you enter your pin, to get a code no to access your a/c? the code no will be the same every time, surely?

Alas, no, the code is not the same every time. I made two payments to credit cards via online banking. Each time was a complete PITA but the codes were different.

Grumble, grumble, PITA, grumble.

It better had reduce the chance of fraud - I don't know if it will or won't!
    Always another chapter

• alijollyalijolly Forumite
    66 Posts
    I haven't got my nationwide one yet but the way my barclays one works is that I insertmy card and it asks for the pin number, then on the site it asks for the last four digits of the card I am using ( so you can use one card reader for different accounts) then a code is generated which is different every time. I am guessing my Nationwide one will work in a similar way
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals