How do I cancel my Virgin Internet contract?

Options
First of all let me just say hello because i'm new to this forum, but i've been using this website for a while now for useful hints and tips.

My predicament is this...

I live in a house with 4 other students. Originally we had Virgin 20mb (if it was actually that!) cable internet, however the lad who had ordered this in September moved out in January and ended the contract taking the internet away with him. We needed the internet so I ordered 4mb this time from Virgin in February, as this is the only ISP in our area due to the fact we have no phone line. However, as many on here will know it is a twelve month contract but I do not want to keep it for this long as in 2 months myself and the others will be leaving the premises.

Can anyone tell me what I can do, or has anyone cancelled with Virgin before and knows how much it costs? Or could I simply cancel the direct debit and just leave without telling them?

Any insight would be most helpful indeed.:confused:

Comments

• normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Options
    Well you've signed yourself up to the contract so you should meet your end of the bargain by either using the service for the 12 months or if you wish to cancel then pay off the remaining months you owe in order to get you out of the contract.

If you cancel your direct debit you'll start no ends of problems & Virgin chasing money will probably hand over the matter to a debt collection agency & the worst possibility would be that your credit rating could be affected.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    If you end the Broadband 12 month agreement before the end of the minimum period they will expect you to immediately pay (to Virgin Media Payments) the balance outstanding for the remainder of the agreement.They want make any concessions.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    w_anderson wrote: »
    Or could I simply cancel the direct debit and just leave without telling them?

I would strongly advise against this, next thing could be your bank chasing you, or Virgin getting debt agency in with subsequent damage to your credit rating for years to come

You don't start your working life with these sort of problems
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure