Gas and Electrics

Options
We are in the process of purchasing a house that has been repossessed. From the little information we have we know that it's got a combi boiler (good thing) and it has central heating through out the house. We are absolute novices when it comes to GCH and most things Gas. Because we don't know any thing about the condition of the system we wanted to get it all checked out by a Corgi registered engineer. Would a normal gas check be sufficient or should we be doing something different.

We don't have a lot of money to spend especially as we need the electrics to be completely checked out as well which brings me onto the other heading. From what we can see the electrics seem to have been replaced as the switch boxes and wiring has been moved but we are not sure about the cost of getting everything checked out. It's a 3 bed semi in Dorset built in the 1960's. We are also having to replace all the light fittings which hopefully we will be able to do ourselves.

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't skimp on inspections of Gas or electrics. Fpor the gas, I would suggest calling 2 or 3 CORGI guys and asking them for the prices of a Safety Certificate and Service. The service is like what you have on a car - it makes sure that everyting is running smoothly. The Safety Cert is exactly that. It proves that all gas appliances are safe and what you need to do to bring them up to standard. Round her (Essex /East London a Gas Safety Cert and Service is anything from £85 to £120 plus the cost of labour and parts if anything is needed to bring it up to scratch. The Electrical Safety Cert should be £125 - £150 and again speak to a few electricians to get prices. Ask friends, families and neighbours who they use and who they can recommend.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    Totally and absolutely agree with Phil on this. DO NOT scrimp on this, it's just not worth it. The costs Phil has quoted are about the same here - West Wales (makes a change) so I would be looking around those prices.

woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
  • sealady
    sealady Posts: 490 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks very much for the advice. I've made a list of people who I am going to phone in the morning. Has anyone used https://www.checkatrade.com
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    With it being a repossession these checks are a good idea. The gas check is simple enough but the previous occupants can often be vindictive (because of their circumstances), and make a real mess of the house - sometimes dangerously.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Even tho a re-possession, Sealady, wouldn't the house sale include safety certificates. Your solicitor would know.
  • sealady
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Even tho a re-possession, Sealady, wouldn't the house sale include safety certificates. Your solicitor would know.

From what I understand not! Wether we believe the Estate agents or not they cannot give imformation about it! I will be chatting to my solicitor today and will ask her the question.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Has the water,gas and electric been turned off and the system drained?
    (to discourage squatters) If so then you would need a Corgi to refill and test.
    Money well spent getting the gas/electrics tested. Do some research on gas c/h so you don't get the wool pulled over your eyes,if you know what I mean;)

Corgi Guy.

PS

As an empty house I doubt very much anyone will have been willing to spend money on a safety cert, and if there was one I wouldn't trust it.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • sealady
    Options
    Hi

Has the water,gas and electric been turned off and the system drained?
    (to discourage squatters) If so then you would need a Corgi to refill and test.
    Money well spent getting the gas/electrics tested. Do some research on gas c/h so you don't get the wool pulled over your eyes,if you know what I mean;)

Corgi Guy.

PS

As an empty house I doubt very much anyone will have been willing to spend money on a safety cert, and if there was one I wouldn't trust it.

Thanks very much - I will do some investigating about it all shortly
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    http://www.trustcorgi.com/consumer/homeinformationpackship.htmx

Think this might apply. Even if re-possessed by the banks, they surely can't sell it on without some check on safety.
  • Razor
    Razor Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    As well as draining the heating system and turning everything off the gas is usually capped off at the meter outlet during reposession, I would use a recommended rgi to come and inspect the system including all gas appliances and tell you how the heating system works. Rather than just booking a service just explain the situation first; we hate getting to a job and finding out its different to what we expected!;)
    Mine needed a new fan so that must be whats wrong with yours:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport