Undercharged By Kennels Now They Want Money

Hi, I don't get much chance to come on here, but I have a problem and I hope I have posted this in the right place. After numerous attempts to contact the CAB (always engaged) I am hoping somebody can help. Three weeks ago I went on holiday and put my two dogs into kennels. On return I paid the amount said and that was that. Now three weeks after returning the kennels have contacted me and said I was undercharged by £41. Enclosed an SAE and asked me to remit. Do I have to pay this? Or is it their fault they undercharged me at the time? I would be very grateful for some advice. Thank you.

Comments

• MAPLE
    MAPLE Posts: 33 Forumite
    No, they didn't. I used them a couple of years ago and didn't ask what it would be, I just had a rough idea. Never thought anymore of it when I paid.
  • MAPLE
    MAPLE Posts: 33 Forumite
    Many thanks for your advice. I shall not be using them again. I will send a letter explaining why I am not paying and how see we go. Cheers.
  • Ruffles_2
    Ruffles_2 Posts: 119 Forumite
    It is their fault that they undercharged you but mistakes can happen. They provided a service that you willingley used. If they can provide proof that x days boarding is so much and you were charged less than that then I think they're within their rights to chase you for the money.

eta- if they're a member of the FSB (Federation of Small Businesses) they will probably sign it over to them.
  • LittleTinker
    LittleTinker Posts: 2,841 Forumite
    People are people and they sometimes make mistakes.

And a small mistake like that can mean an awful lot in a small business.

Pay the kennels.....its not as though you wouldnt have paid if they had calculated correctly at the time.

It would be so much nicer for you and for them knowing you had done the right thing.
  • Bromley86
    Bromley86 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    This is a difficult thread to follow as someone is timeloose :) .

What is your reason for not paying? Unless they actually quoted that lower price at some point (recently, not a few years ago!) then I can't see that you have a leg to stand on.

The other consideration is that, aside from this price increase, you have presumably been fairly satisfied with them. I'd check what other kennels that you'd consider using charge before burning your bridges.
  • Tribulation
    Tribulation Posts: 4,001 Forumite
    If they made a mistake, you owe them the money. It's not the same as them quoting you for a service in advance then charging you more.
    Martin Lewis is always giving us advice on how to force companies to do things.

How about giving us advice on how to remove ourselves from any part of
    MoneySupermarket.com

I hereby withdraw any permission Martin might have implied he gave MoneySupermarket.com to use any of my data. Further more, I do not wish ANY data about me, or any of my posts etc to be held on any computer system held by MoneySupermarket.com or any business it has any commercial interests in.
  • lavidaloca
    lavidaloca Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pay up. People make mistakes and this will probably be a small business. Also you must have known beforehand how much the boarding should be. I would be grateful my dogs had been well looked after whilst I was away.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    I wouldn't pay them - they made the mistake and will learn from their lesson. it pays to be careful. If they had overcharged would they have contacted the OP - unlikely unless they were definitely wanting the business again.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • babyangel10
    babyangel10 Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

Have you actually contacted them to ask why there is this discrepancy?

Maybe you can agree to pay half, providing they looked after your dogs well of course.

Awkward situation and the outcome all depends on your own personality and/or conscience IMO - some people will be of the (excuse the pun!) 'dog eat dog' mindset - they made the mistake so stuff em, but others will be of the 'they are a small business and they did do a good job with the dogs so it's only fair that I pay up'

Up to you really - I think it depends on whether you'll use them again and also the likelihood of them taking it further if you don't pay - do you want the hassle?

Would the amount they are asking for be an unreasonable amount for the amount of time they had the dogs? (i.e with the costs of inflation since you last took them there etc)

Just thought I'd throw a few things in for you to think about - I really am sat on the fence on this one!!! :)
  • red_bertie
    red_bertie Posts: 455 Forumite
    Our bills [pet services] are checked at the end of the day, but our customers would have already been advised roughly what the charge would be.

If we undercharge a customer we write it off, it is our fault and unless there's a really good reason for the mistake [e.g. new person], so should the kennels, it will make them more careful next time.

I wouldn't dream of asking a customer to rectify our mistake by paying the difference.

If we overcharge, we phone them, tell them and give them the option of us sending the amount or holding it on account for them. We do this to be fair and in the interests of good relations, trust and potential future business ;) ..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure