We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Family food shops...

Options
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7362676.stm

That's from the BBC but there's a similar article full of doom and despair in the Times.

So, are we all really going to starve??

Comments

• JF77
    JF77 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    Pasta is the one that jumped out at me. Our family eats tons of the stuff and I noticed in ASDA last week that it was over 60p compared to over 30p a couple of months back.

I don't normally notice the addition of a few pence but, I defo noticed this one.
    Excited for Florida - May 2012 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    Schools have tons of pasta on their menus so i'm guessing school dinner prices will increase again this year with all this food price increase. If this continues then in the future we will see all our cash going on food and bills ect and some of us having to give up our cars etc.
  • doraexplorer
    Options
    its scary how much food is going up. my food bill is getting bigger and bigger. our school dinners have just gone up 10p and will proberly go up again...

it wont get to the stage we are starving, but i think it wil get more expensive before its gets better . well i hope.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO what a ride!

• bambieyes
    bambieyes Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    tesco's 5kg bag of pasta costs £1.00 before christmas and it was not on special offer. middle of january this jumped to £2.45 :eek:. looked again a couple of weeks ago and has jumped to £2.97:eek::eek:

its the biggest increase on a food stuff that ive ever seen. if i had known i would have well stocked up
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All down to the price of wheat apparently. I guess pasta is affected most as it is a product most entirely made from wheat flour.

Food prices going up, fuel up 20%, and they still want us to believe inflation is only 3%!
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Twp things I noticed in Tesco this week -

Iceberg lettuce a few weeks ago were 69p, this week 85p

Pepsi Max 4 x 1.5l pack - last week £3.69 this week £4.25 !!!!

I seem to see my food bills creeping up and up, even though I am cutting back - methinks us peasants should revolt :j And don't even get me started on petrol :eek:
  • conradmum
    conradmum Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, poor countries will starve before we do. In fact, they already are.
  • sarahowen
    sarahowen Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    I'm very impressed that you all know what the previous prices on things were...
  • angelfairy
    angelfairy Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    Options
    I have this discussion with Mr Beccaoz every time we go to Mr Ts. The prices are just already increasing, and don't get him going on petrol.

The main thing we have noticed is tescos own tea bags (not the blue label ones). For 80 bags it was at one stage 80 something pence, then 99p and now £1.35!!!
  • Cornishpixie_2
    Options
    Just been moaning. Went to Mr T bought value basics bread, spread on offer,few other bits and bobs for packet lunches, all basics or on offer. Cost £8+ . What's all that about? Days of cheap food gone. Having to forego non essentials just to eat.:eek:
    Grocery challenge june £300/ £211-50.
    Grocery challenge july £300/£134-85.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills