Warning - Sharps... and plea for help!

Options
I had a quote a couple of weeks ago from both Sharps Bedrooms and Hammonds fitted furniture installers.

Sharps was first - quoted me for doing 3 double door wardrobe (wall to wall across my bedroom) plus one double door unit on an alcove in second bedroom. I live in a brand new house, so have good condition walls, plaster etc. There are NO eaves or awkward corners, just an easy 'box shaped' room needing a straight run of doors.

They told me I qualified for a 50% discount as it was Spring, plus another 10% discount for Easter...plus another 10% if I signed up on the spot.
The price, now 30% of the original, was therefore BROUGHT DOWN TO ...£4,000 !!

Working this figure back to the 100% meant the plastic laminate fronted wardrobe doors and fitting were supposedly originally costing about £11,000 !!

Think that sounds reasonable?

Hammonds came out to give me a quote, similar sales routine with lots of special offers. Came out £500 dearer than Sharps! Offered to match thier price. Salesman became very rude when I said I wanted to think things over and not hand over a cheque immediately, as he'd asked.

Anyone know of some REASONABLE fitted wardrobe suppliers/fitters??

Comments

• autismmum
    autismmum Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    try your local yellow pages, we found a guy who built our last bedroom just as the hammonds one we wanted but less than 3,000. try local businesses
    totally debt free:j and mortgage free too 2010
  • tvmaned
    tvmaned Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I have been researching on the internet, and especially this site, and the main reviews for fitted wardrobes seem to be of the main companies - Hammonds, Sharps, etc. The common response is that these are overpriced and I don't want to be ripped off. I am therefore looking to get the 'local tradesman' route. Could anyone give me a good recommendation for someone whois based in SE1 London, or covers this area, and does a good job for a reasonable price?

Many thanks,

E
  • Blacksheep1979
    Blacksheep1979 Posts: 4,224 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For that price you'll possibly get a bespoke one from a local chippie
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Find a decent chippie and ask him about B&Q style fitted wardrobe packs.
    The man without a signature.
  • inclement
    inclement Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to bring this thread up to date as it's very good advice for anyone looking for a new bedroom.

We were just quoted 6000 by Hammonds and the (quite bolshy) guy from Sharps wanted 5000 if we signed there and then. Needless to say, we didn't sign and got a quote from a local company who had been recommended.

The local company came in with a price of 2500 with no mention of special discounts etc - this was a breath of fresh air ! The local company spent 30 minutes with us and priced up the job in no time. Sharps and Hammonds spents over 2 hours per visit and we're sure this is to make you feel guilty about not taking them on.

The local company was recommended to us by a builder who we know and who is very particular about quality - so there is no argument there about getting what you pay for.

Hope this helps anyone else who is thinking about a new bedroom.

Inclement

:j
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sharps, Dolphin Bathrooms, Moben and Kitchens Direct. All the same company. Google them and read all the reviews. I certainly wouldn't buy anything from them.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree find a local carpenter who can make something to your exact design and the chances are it will be better built and unique.
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    OP where are you based?
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They told me I qualified for a 50% discount as it was Spring, plus another 10% discount for Easter...plus another 10% if I signed up on the spot.
    The price, now 30% of the original, was therefore BROUGHT DOWN TO ...£4,000 !!

Sorry, but 50%, 10% and 10% do not add up to a 70% discount.
    The discount is 59.5% :)

(Taking £100 as the starting point, you get £50, £45 and £40.50)
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is a forum on here that might be more suitable for the advice you want, it might be worth posting on there

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=39
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport