PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Nettle recipes- Food from the wild.

Options

Comments

• Adrift
    Adrift Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Puddytat
    if you find you don't like the taste of nettle tea (it's quite bitter), don't waste it, you can use it in cooking instead. Rip open the bag and use in any dishes where you might use a bit of spinach..say a tomato pasta sauce. Nettles are a much better source of iron than spinach. Spinach has lots of iron but it's locked up as spinach is high in oxalic acid which means iron and calcium cannot be utilised.

BWs Adrift

Does anyone know what nettle soup tastes like? If its possible to give a description,

On a similar note my friend gave me some nettle tea bags, knowing I like fruit tea. She had bought them for herself but couldn't bring herself to drink them. Well they've been in th cupboard unopened for the past 3 months. After seeing this thread, I'll have to make the effort to at least try them.

Thanks
  • Yoga_Girl
    Yoga_Girl Posts: 888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone watch River Cottage tonight on Channel 4? He made a nettle soup for a Valentines meal which he "garnished" with a heart-shaped crouton and some oysters. He went foraging for the nettles in some fields but unfortunately forgot to take any gloves with him.

Ouch!
  • Scary_Fish
    Options
    founf this site...

http://www.sacredearth.com/Ezine/March2004/March2004.htm

i think the first one is what he makes....don't think i've ever noticed him doing the egg white thing...

looks like this site might feature a different plant each week/month....
    Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks for the link, will have to wander round the site, looks good.
  • percyflatcap
    Options
    my mother used to make nettle soup when I was a young lad,
    sometimes it had to keep us going for a few days
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    percy, you remind me of someone else.
  • comicmankev
    comicmankev Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it sounds easy, any pointers?

I buy the boxes and love it - but it does seem pointless as we are all surrounded by it!
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Used to drink this as a child as my great aunt used to make it.

Use fresh tips not old leaves , they can also be dried , in the sun is best but on kitchen paper on the ovens lowest setting with the door part open would probably work.

They also make a sharp refreshing beer !

shammy
  • caroline1973lefty
    Options
    I've also used the young ones (ie before they flower) as soup and as a replacement for spinach. Don't gather from near polluted roads and obviously wash well in case of dog wee etc!!!
    "The Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Ghandi
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A great Yorkshire recipe from my own locality using nettles and dock leaves ( not your common or garden Dock , check out the latin name ) fantastic served with a cooked breakfast and can be preserved in jars !

http://www.calderdale-online.org/community/life/life5.html

shammy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills