PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Nettle recipes- Food from the wild.

Options
15678911»

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I should have known that this forum had an entire thread on nettle soup! I should HAVE MORE FAITH ! :)
  • The_Thrilla
    The_Thrilla Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    Options
    Yes. I have it every year. Treat it like spinach. Use only the young leaves. The cooking takes the sting out. It is delicious. Oh, and wear gloves while picking the leaves.
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we make nettle risotto. and when the peas and broad beans are ready we'll be having it as a lush summer salad.
  • dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OOh - glad to see this my DS (7) asked me to make him some this week and I had no idea ....
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made a lovely soup with nettles from my garden last year but when I came to do it this year they were covered in to many crawlatty bugs and it put me off!
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I would just soak them and get rid, good wash will sort that. I want to try it but the OH is going to go on and on ... will wait a bit then sneak it in when he isnt looking. They are supposed to be very high in vitamins and iron I think, will be good for him. :)
  • balmaiden
    balmaiden Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    Of the very many soups that I make ( soup loving family) nettle soup is my daughters favorite. Husband rates it as marginally below his absolute fave, which is curried parsnip and apple. Myself, I find it ok nothing more.

slight change of subject we have just enjoyed foraged seabeet with our Sunday lunch. Now that I loooove.
    Away with the fairies.... Back soon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family