Changing Broadband supplier - minimising overlap costs

Options
I am planning to change Broadband suppliers soon. Since it is unlikely that one can arrange things so that payments to the new supplier start exactly when the old ones stop, I presume there is an overlap period in the middle where one actually ends up paying for both services at once!

Any advice please (especially from those who have been through this process) as to how one can minimise this overlap period in practice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your current broadband supplier supports MAC numbers. This is the easiest way to change networks. Phone your supplier, ask for your MAC number. Go to your new supplier, enter this number and that's it.

You should have no overlap in payments this way. Your old supplier will stop taking money on the day of your changeover (should do). Your new supplier will start charging you from the same day. You should notice practically no loss of service using this method.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Victor_Delta
    Options
    Many thanks. I was aware of the MAC number system but did not realise that this would also help to ensure that the payments do not overlap. I hope theory and practice coincide in this area when I try it!
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My only advice would be to keep an eye on your bank statements for a while after you have migrated. I had a terrible time years ago with Tiscali when they continued billing me after I had cancelled with them.

When I migrated from Wanadoo to Zen earlier this year. The changover (service and billing) went as smoothly as it could be.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport