PPI Reclaiming discussion Part II

Options

Comments

• Locke
    Locke Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    Just had a rejection letter from Alliance and Leicester.

They claim that I made the loan over the internet so I couldn't of been given any financial advice however I remember it being dealt with over the phone, in fact it was a consolidation that included an old loan with them which from a look at their website shows that customers with an existing loan can't apply on line and need to ring them.

Any advice on my next move?
  • Absolut_Wench
    Options
    Ask if they can give you a copy of the call.

If calls are recorded for training and quality monitoring purposes, they should have it. Possibly also a transcript of the call.

Good luck!
    LBM November 2005: approx £32K :eek:
    Current debt: approx £12K :T
    Getting there one day at a time ;)
  • Locke
    Options
    Ask if they can give you a copy of the call.

If calls are recorded for training and quality monitoring purposes, they should have it. Possibly also a transcript of the call.

Good luck!

That's the thing, they're claiming I applied over the internet when it's not possible to apply for a consolidation loan over the net.
  • Absolut_Wench
    Options
    And you definitely did it over the phone?

You need to tell them that (you probably have already), and ask if they have a recording of the call.

Sounds like they are being obstructive - several lenders have the argument that if you applied online, its down to you if you are sold an unsuitable product. They argue that as you did it yourself, they didn't offer advice as to whether it was suitable, so they aren't to blame, so get lost we aren't repaying it.

Egg did the same with my Dad's credit card PPI :mad:
  • Locke
    Options
    And you definitely did it over the phone?

You need to tell them that (you probably have already), and ask if they have a recording of the call.

Sounds like they are being obstructive - several lenders have the argument that if you applied online, its down to you if you are sold an unsuitable product. They argue that as you did it yourself, they didn't offer advice as to whether it was suitable, so they aren't to blame, so get lost we aren't repaying it.

Egg did the same with my Dad's credit card PPI :mad:

As far as I remember it was done over the phone, it was a 'top up' loan as they put it on their site and they give details how to apply for it (ring with existing account number) I can clearly remember having phone conversations with them over the subject and them telling me how much would be paid to me and how much to cover my old loan with them.
  • Absolut_Wench
    Options
    I remember doing the same thing myself when I topped up my Goldfish loan several years ago. Phoned up and arranged it with an advisor, then signed the paperwork a few days later.

It is quite possible they haven't got a recording of the conversation, or can't lay their hands on it.

Which isn't great, as the conversation is the primary record of a loan application. The paperwork and agreements that follow are supporting that call.

If it were me, I certainly wouldn't take no for an answer. I'd write back, following Martin's guide, stating you don't agree with their decision for the reasons you've listed.

Its quite possible they'll get back to you to say that they STILL aren't refunding the PPI. Provided thats their final answer, you can then get the ball rolling with the Ombudsman.
  • Locke
    Options
    I remember doing the same thing myself when I topped up my Goldfish loan several years ago. Phoned up and arranged it with an advisor, then signed the paperwork a few days later.

It is quite possible they haven't got a recording of the conversation, or can't lay their hands on it.

Which isn't great, as the conversation is the primary record of a loan application. The paperwork and agreements that follow are supporting that call.

If it were me, I certainly wouldn't take no for an answer. I'd write back, following Martin's guide, stating you don't agree with their decision for the reasons you've listed.

Its quite possible they'll get back to you to say that they STILL aren't refunding the PPI. Provided thats their final answer, you can then get the ball rolling with the Ombudsman.

That's what I'm going to do, I've basically said the conversation took place over the phone because consolidation loans can't be done over the internet, I've asked for a copy of the phone conversation and if I don't get a response that I'm happy with i the next 14 days then I'll be contacting the financial Ombudsman.

Thanks for your help.
  • tigraj
    Options
    Hi, does anyone know if I can claim refund or payments on my barclaycard? I've been paying PPI for many years knowingly. But due to getting pregnant,giving birth I could not get back to my job, so been unemployed for about 1 year now and now I am expecting a second child so wont be able to go back to work for another year or so. I have not claimed anything yet.:confused:
  • TwinsMum_2
    TwinsMum_2 Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    Received notification this morning that the FO are upholding my complaint re- Central Capital (First Plus) I am getting all the PPI back plus 8% interest and the remainder of my loan re-structured. I don't know the figures as yet but will let you know. This is a good result for me as I have been fighting it since last October and they were very quick to say that I had no chance,but after going to the FO they have agreed that I was mis-sold and I was never given the correct information at the point of sale, so if you are in any doubt just give it a go, I don't want to guess a figure yet but I think it may well make a big difference to me.
    Claimed back almost £4000 so far from HSBC for mis-sold PPI
    £2083.00 + £242.00 8% interest from FirstPlus and lower monthly premiums:D Studio Cards paid off my account and gave me £125.00 in gift vouchers. £500.00 Barclays.
  • LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    Options
    TwinsMum wrote: »
    Received notification this morning that the FO are upholding my complaint re- Central Capital (First Plus) I am getting all the PPI back plus 8% interest and the remainder of my loan re-structured. I don't know the figures as yet but will let you know. This is a good result for me as I have been fighting it since last October and they were very quick to say that I had no chance,but after going to the FO they have agreed that I was mis-sold and I was never given the correct information at the point of sale, so if you are in any doubt just give it a go, I don't want to guess a figure yet but I think it may well make a big difference to me.

:j :j

Well done you. :T
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business