water bill for previous property owner

Options
Hi,

I've purchased a property and I've just received a water bill under the old owners name.

The total bill is for £500+ for the period 01/04/08 to 31/03/2009. This bill also includes a "balance brought forward" for around £260.

Do I have to settle this bill? Or just for the period 01/04/08 - 31/03/09?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the Forum.

Your obviously do not have a meter and the bill they send is for the year in advance.

The brought foward element is not your responsibility. Just tell the water company when you moved in and they can chase the previous owner for the £260.
  • crackle999
    crackle999 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Cardew for the advice.
  • mute_posting
    Options
    I got a HUGE bill addresses to "The Occupier" just after I bought my flat a couple of years ago.

When I phoned (United Utilities) to query it I was told not to worry as they "send a big bill with arrears to get people to phone us and set up their account"

A bit of a backward way of doing things IMHO but it obviously works for them lol.

MP
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • mute_posting
    Options
    crackle999 wrote: »
    I've just received a water bill under the old owners name.

Just thought - is nice to know that either the previous owner set up a mail redirect or the Royal Mail are using it :confused:

MP
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • littlemissjojo
    Options
    crackle999 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've purchased a property and I've just received a water bill under the old owners name.

The total bill is for £500+ for the period 01/04/08 to 31/03/2009. This bill also includes a "balance brought forward" for around £260.

Do I have to settle this bill? Or just for the period 01/04/08 - 31/03/09?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Dont ever ever pay a bill that is not in your name!!!! Can cause all sorts of problems!!

Ring the water company and get a new account opened in your name from the date that you moved in, and dont pay anything until it arrives!!
    Comp wins: Jan: Cuddly Iguana, Disney Watch Feb: Nothing!! March: Love Curse of the Rumbaughs book April: Nothing!! May: Years free cinema tickets
  • crackle999
    crackle999 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.

In the end I had to contact the debt collection agency, as the bill was with them. They advised me not to worry and to tear up the bill. They will contact the water company and ask them to set up a new account for me.

Downside: I think I'll have to get a water meter now!!
  • anony_mouse_5
    Options
    It is the occupiers responsibilty to inform the water company of moving in as well as leaving the property.
    Always do this with all utilities ASAP.
    i'm one of them there water board feloows ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure