🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Have free bus pass, want to travel.

Options

Comments

• murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jfisher20 wrote: »
    Some long distance National Express coach routes have sections registered as local routes and so the over 60s free pass can be used.
    However not sure exactly how it works due to the advance booking nature of the services
    see http://www.leytr.co.uk/Registered%20Sections.pdf

Me again.

Could you be so kind as to post a link to the Guide
    ie At the top of the pdf you refer to it says 'Check the timetables in the Guide'
    I would very much like to see those time tables which I can't seem to locate.
    Also do you know what VCS stands for?
    Thanks
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    How to blunder East to West (or vice versa) across London.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=9914325#post9914325

(This week I did Basildon to Brentwood and then on to Romford - it is a similar problem: to minimise costs the ESSEX buses loop the loop in the housing estates, so journeys that could take 20 minutes take an hour (Correction 1 3/4 hours as the "N" registration bus broke down.
    The Traveline web site suggested that I took the train into London Upminster, then took two London Buses to get back to Brentwood as this would be quicker than using one Essex bus for the same journey.)

VCS means Victoria Coach Station Nr Victoria Rail Station in London - an interesting "hell hole" at the height of summer. The coaches that use it tend to stop at a "Parkway" type interchange somewhere out next to the North circular or M25, that connects to an outlying underground or rail line station.
    National Express is a company but I think you will find that many of the routes are run by independent companies, which may explain why it has problems answering general questions from head office.
    Don't forget to check the Megabus/train web site if going further afield. Most journeys have a few 1.50 seats if you can buy them as soon as the journey goes up on the web site (ie like a low cost airline). Megabus is Stagecoach in disguise, its fares tend to be cheaper than buying the same journey from the local bus company (which is also Stagecoach in disguise).

http://loades.net/megabusblog/faq.html

This is a bit of a local S.Essex thing, but Margaret might know the answers.
    There is a time tabled but increasingly infrequent express bus/coach that goes through S.Essex called the X1. Thurrock residents, whose cards started at 09:00 hrs.used to be able to use it within the Borough - is this still the case? Does it allow itself to be used into Essex too? [Geographical note: Thurrock is run by an unholy dispute between elected councillors and an appointed development corporation, only the Post Office thinks it is still in Essex; Methinks:, will it belong to Boris before long?]

I can answer my own questions now.
    For buses in Thurrock or starting in Thurrock, local residents can board at 09:00 weekdays.
    The pass can be used (because it is after 09:30) on the X1 & X10 buses coming back to S.Essex from London Victoria in the evening rush-hour BUT the morning buses into London run before 09:00 so you would have to pay. This means one could spend 2 -3 hours getting to Victoria on "ordinary" buses and then 1 - 2 hours getting back on an X1 or X10 for free.
    However:
    "It is with deep regret that we have taken the decision to withdraw the X1 & X10 services after operation on Friday 11th July 2008. Over the last couple of years we have been faced with huge increases in costs, particularly fuel. Changes to EU drivers hours in April 2007 meant that we had to start the X1 from Stanford-le-hope instead of from Southend. The London low emission zone, commencing from July, would mean an investment of many hundreds of thousands of pounds for newer coaches. Increased reliability on both rail lines has contributed to a decline in passengers and therefore revenue. The introduction of the national concessionary bus pass scheme from April 2008 has further reduced revenue".
  • Roger_Rees
    Options
    THe following website makes it really easy to check out all possible bus routes and times for the UK:
    http://www.traveline.org.uk/index.htm
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    one thing to keep in mind with those journey planning sites is they arent 100%. while playing about i have noticed they have often said a journey isnt possible when i know it is because i know the bus that does the journey. they also sometimes take you the long way round and tell you to make unnecessary connections.
    i still think they are good sites believe it or not. just not as good as they should be.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with donnajunkie: you sometimes get a more helpful answer if you ring the company local to that area. Although they'll only know about their own buses, so it can still be a bit of a black art if more than one company operates in that area!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i think a combination can work. once i know a bus number i always look for the timetable of that bus.
  • gasgobill
    Options
    If you have an English bus pass, you can travel into Wales, and return, but you are not permitted to make a bus journey that starts and ends in that Wales.
    This may also apply to Scotland, and for Welsh and Scottish passholders in England.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Scottish pass holders can travel to Carlisle and back of course :)
  • Merrywidow
    Merrywidow Posts: 766 Forumite
    Options
    Dear Islandman

Yes let's put our heads together and get our fellow travellers round this island. Kent is allowing its pensioners to start their journey at 9am from 30th June, 2008. I have only joined today but I will try and get some info from my area (Tunbridge Wells) I know we can get to Hastings, Eastbourne, Brighton and so from here. More soon.
    member # 12 of Skaters Club
    Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
    You grow old because you stop laughing
    :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That is interesting, a 9am start. Maybe you would clarify?. Did you have a 9.30am start prior to the introduction of 9.am?.

As you are a new user of this pass, let me explain.

Some towns have decided there will be no restrictions and you can use your pass as early in the day as you like.

Some towns will only allow this on Saturdays, and hold 9.30am as the start time.

These two systems as simple as they are, are causing some users confusion.

There are further exceptions all over the country.

In some towns where there is a 9.30am start, if you have a hospital appointment earlier, and you show this to the driver, he should allow you to travel free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport