PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

handmade bread

Options

Comments

• RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    Options
    This doesn't take long - I work full time and make a loaf every evening.

What do other handbakers do? Would breadmaker fans ever be converted?

I'm quite keen to have a go at this but wanted to ask. Is this just for a single loaf, the quantities you've mentioned? Many Thanks, RD.
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• Bunny200
    Bunny200 Posts: 627 Forumite
    Options
    I'm building myself up to make a proper loaf of bread! :eek: Previously only managed pizza bases and had problems with leaving the dough to rise, my kitchen isn't very warm in the day (turned the heat off to save pennies!) and I don't have an airing cupboard, do you think it would be ok to put the oven on low and put the dough in there? If so would conventional be better than fan assisted as I have both options.
    Advice requested from people who know much more than I!
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've merged your post with a recent thread on making bread by hand.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • lumpy_bum
    lumpy_bum Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    well i scoured everywhere for a bread maker today and nothing :(
    ive bought a couple of the hovis bread making bags so i will have a go with that:D
    asda gave me some fresh yeast... erm how do i store it anyone lol?
    also how does it measure in regards to dried or is it the same? thankyou in advance :D
    x
    :cool:minds is willing , soul remains, this woman cannot be saved :cool:
    ;);););););););):A;);););););););)

• ilovecompanies
    Options
    I looovvve homemade bread, it's really the best ever. It takes so much better than Hovis or Warburtons because it's, i dont know...
    Delish!!!:D:D:D
    Pigsback- 250pp (11.50 claimed) Ipoints- 200
    Toluna- 16 615 (Need 60000 for Sainsbury's voucher) Lightspeed- 110 points (aiming for a W H miths or BHS 10.00 voucher)
  • lumpy_bum
    lumpy_bum Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    its funny you should say that because recently ive come to love hovis extra thick white bread only the past 4 times ive bought it , it has gone mouldy a couple of days before the bb date. i rang hovis yesterday and they appologised and are sending me some vouchers :)
    i wanna make my own though.
    i just got the hovis packet mix out and i made it to exact but it was all sloppy :o
    gawd knows what i did lol
    its now on the side covered with a tea towel for a couple of hours:D
    i cant wait:d i hope it tastes nice:D
    :cool:minds is willing , soul remains, this woman cannot be saved :cool:
    ;);););););););):A;);););););););)

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was given a breadmaker almost 3 years ago...used it a couple of times to bake a loaf and did not like the result, so moved on to making the dough in bm and then shaping, proving and baking in normal oven. I now very seldom use bm, use cheapest flour and get good results...I prefer home made bread...mind you if I am really in a hurry I made wholemeal or white soda bread and bread is ready to eat in an hour or less if I make scones.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bunny200 wrote: »
    I'm building myself up to make a proper loaf of bread! :eek: Previously only managed pizza bases and had problems with leaving the dough to rise, my kitchen isn't very warm in the day (turned the heat off to save pennies!) and I don't have an airing cupboard, do you think it would be ok to put the oven on low and put the dough in there? If so would conventional be better than fan assisted as I have both options.
    Advice requested from people who know much more than I!

You can leave the dough for as long as you like to rise - it doesn't have to be in a warm place. In fact it will rise in the fridge! I've done this with the final loaves in the tin if it's too late at night to wait, so I've put them in the fridge overnight and they are nearly ready by morning.

The longer you can leave your dough to rise for the first rising the better flavour it will have. I don't have my heating on at all (we switched it off a month ago) so I mix the dough in the morning, leave it to rise for about 6-7 hours, knock it back, put it in the tins and leave to rise again (it should be quicker the second time) then bake it for 35 minutes at 180C. I know most recipes tell you to use a higher heat but I've always found mine comes out perfectly the way I do it.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Justamum is quite right -and not just because I like her avatar :D . It is completely unecessary to leave bread dough somewhere warm to rise. I leave mine in the mixing bowl in the kitchen for 2 hours.

It is also unecessary to knead it for 10 mins -3-4 mins is enough. Some recipes don't require kneading at all -see first post.

Another myth is that you have to 'make a well in the flour' and pour the liquid into it gradually incorporating the flour from around the edges. You only need to do that if you are daft enough not to use a bowl. Just mix it all together.

You may have seen Jamie Oliver transferring his bread to the oven as if it were a bomb about to go off and warning you not to slam the oven door in case it collapses :confused: Never had that happen to my bread in all my years of handbaking, and I certainly don't treat my bread that gently.

There are a lot of myths about breadmaking -it's no wonder people want a machine to do it for them. You may well get a nice loaf from a breadmaker but the sense of satisfaction and sheer pride when you take a batch of your own bread from the oven never goes away.
  • righter
    righter Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    hi,i agree with all these posts...kneading times are usually exaggerated in most books. i am a busy mum,bake everyday,my bread is lucky if it gets 10 turns. you can generally feel that you`ve knocked the air out enough,and the i just tuck into a neat seam,push it down hard into corners of the tin...and thats it.
    By the way i use a pullman tin to get "square..ish" slices for packed lunches. otherwise anything goes..seeds,cooked potatoes,veg,milk,rice,oats,olives...the list is endless.
    I also put in oven at 180c for 35mins BUT,not pre-heated,I put in from cold,this allows some rise,before baking (elizabeth David..i think)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure