Confused about meters?/ Really a saving.

Options
I have a rated bill and it shows at

Water
£50 Standing Charge
Ratable value of £207 x usage rate of £0.740 = £153.18

Total Water £198.18

Waste Water
Ratable value of £207 x usage rate of £1.257 = £260

Total Bill of £458.38

Now, looking at maybe getting a meter, I assumed that only the Water Usage rate section (Currently £153.18) will change??? As this refers to useage, again assuming the waste section of the bill will stay the same and the standing charge??

So my saving would be a maximum of £153.18

Upon using the USWITCH site to check, I see it thinks my bills can be in total £156.57 giving a saving of over £300 per year????

Is this correct, or am I being really stupid..

Also, I see I can try it out for a maximum of 12 months, reading this, if I cancel and go back to rates, they leave the meter, but never read it?? This being the case, the govenment could easily force me to be meter charged in future couldn't they??

Comments

• mute_posting
    Options
    6022tivo wrote: »
    Now, looking at maybe getting a meter, I assumed that only the Water Usage rate section (Currently £153.18) will change??? As this refers to useage, again assuming the waste section of the bill will stay the same and the standing charge??

So my saving would be a maximum of £153.18

If you are metered on the way IN, I believe they charge for 70% of that going OUT so you are effectively metered both directions

Upon using the USWITCH site to check, I see it thinks my bills can be in total £156.57 giving a saving of over £300 per year????

Is this correct, or am I being really stupid..

Also, I see I can try it out for a maximum of 12 months, reading this, if I cancel and go back to rates, they leave the meter, but never read it??

Correct, but I believe that if you sold your house the NEW owner would be metered (I haven't checked this)

This being the case, the govenment could easily force me to be meter charged in future couldn't they??

Any water company can insist a property is metered AFAIK - don't need the government say so.

Personally, I don't believe it will be too long before they do this anyway

My answers in bold above.

HTH

MP
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • 6022tivo
    6022tivo Posts: 781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just done the same usage thingy on the United Utilities Site, came out the same but on the United Utilities site is also added a standard charge of £111 a year????? Unreal how this has gone up from £50 to £111???. I suppose it is to recoup the cost of fitting the meter.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Also, I see I can try it out for a maximum of 12 months, reading this, if I cancel and go back to rates, they leave the meter, but never read it?? This being the case, the govenment could easily force me to be meter charged in future couldn't they??

The meter may still be read every 6 months depends on the water co. Anglian Water still read the meters even tho you dont pay on them for leakage purposes
  • 6022tivo
    6022tivo Posts: 781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure what to do, I can see why it puts people off who may be thinking of buying the house.

I will definatly save, but I am worried I will become ultra tight with water.. lol
    Not flushing after a pee and all that.
  • mute_posting
    Options
    Not sure what to do, I can see why it puts people off who may be thinking of buying the house.

There is currently a poll running on this board dealing with just such a question.. It apears most people (who have voted) wouldn't be put off.
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure