Tips for buying on Ebay

Replies

• I have to disagree with the 98%, but then I would as mine is 97%. I was stiffed by some toe rag that sold me some high spec speaker cables. They had nail holes every 4" along the cable and some of these were through the conductors.

Having left the person negative feedback, they then left some for me. Gee thanks ........ I was so hacked off about it that I stopped trading on Ebay for 2 years.
  • I always used to wait until the end of the auction to bid because, as stated above, you'll get a better bargain. However, three times in the last 9 months I've been watching an item and the seller has sold early to the highest bidder! Two of these items have been sold to the very first bidder. I was sat watching them for two days only for it to go to some-one who bid 50% of what I was prepared to pay. Now I always place a low bid to show the seller that I am interested.
    On another point I recently bought an item which didn't arrive. I'll never again buy from some-one who is buying for "a friend". His friend is now apparently in prison and not contactable!!! I'm £50 out of pocket!
    Regards

Mark
  • ......or even SELLING for a friend ooops :-[
    LOL
    Regards

Mark
  • I was looking at an auction the other day (I think it was for a portable DVD player [~£150]) and the feedback rating was very respectable. However, I looked at the type of feedback and they were all from newly registered users, each with 1 feedback. The items that they were bidding on were all blank DVD's or CD-R's, all of which had ended within the last week, bumping the seller's feedback up. :(

Quite obviously the seller was creating false ID's and bidding and winning his/her own auctions, then leaving positive feedback for themselves as the seller, thus creating a large positive 100% feedback and possibly fooling some less experienced buyers. >:(

A lesson to be learned! Do your research, don't get burned! ;)

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!
    Make me RICH!!!!!!
  • ashmitashmit Forumite
    622 Posts
    I always used to wait until the end of the auction to bid because, as stated above, you'll get a better bargain. However, three times in the last 9 months I've been watching an item and the seller has sold early to the highest bidder! Two of these items have been sold to the very first bidder. I was sat watching them for two days only for it to go to some-one who bid 50% of what I was prepared to pay. Now I always place a low bid to show the seller that I am interested.
    I don't understand what you mean... surely this is against eBay's t&cs? Am I missing something obvious?
  • Yep, totally against the rules. Everyone who uses that system should be reported, but as buyers are getting a bargain they don't care.

Bidders who have lost out should contact eBay.
    I'm so sexy it's a wonder my underpants don't explode.
  • i always use auction snipe

you put in the max you wanna go it then looks at all other bids on system and adds your bid at the last possible momment sometimes £1 more than the other highest bidder it works quicker than ebays proxy bidder

it lets you use a lead time of 5secs but suggests 7 is better depending on heavy ebay traffic

i always use 7secs and have never lost

found at https://www.auctionsniper.com

signup and you get 6 free snipes when they run out they then charge you a percentage of your winning bid amount for each auction you then win using snipe

however if you are cunning and wish to recieve free snipes just drop your friends email who also have ebay accounts everytime they signup you will recieve 3 free snipes whilst they receive 6 free snipes

im sure with everyone on here we could grind ebays silly bidding up culture to an end

i have 100% success rate

ive picked up some quality bargains

go get em chaps
  • Be careful if you are going to use some of the auction sniper sites. They may require you to register and provide your user ID and password - and the page may not be secure, which means that your details can be read by any passing hacker. To make sure the page is safe, (1) Look for 'https' at the start of the address (top left of screen), & (2) look for the padlock sign at the bottom right of the screen area. if present then you are OK. If these aren't there then hold your mouse over the page, right click, go to 'Properties' and left click. If it does not say 'HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy' then it ain't secure. The 'with privacy' bit is always there on a secure site - so that is check number 3.
  • poochelpoochel Forumite
    160 Posts
    another good tip when entering your maximum bid is to always bid a penny more- eg £15.01 instead of £15. Its amazing how many things I've won by doing this- most people only bid in round numbers!
  • I have found many are wise to this 1p extra ....I add my lucky number. Or more usually just hit a couple of numbers.

One trick is to use a wee bit of phsycology

ie u reckon the item is worth £22 the number of people who will bid £22.22 is staggering. Bid a little higher than this if you want it.

Again know your maximum and if you are not sure check how many others have been sold and at what prices.

If it is a rare item you might not see it again so come in late decide your maximum and maybe add 10% ...if you can't wait.

BUT KNOW YOUR MARKET !!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum